BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 28: Former Clarendon House

New building at 28 Broad Street

 

Clarendon House at 28 Broad Street (on the corner of New College Lane) was sold to Hertford College by New College in 1898. It was demolished and rebuilt (as shown in the picture on the left) as part of the North Quad. It was joined to the older part of the college by the famous “Bridge of Sighs” in 1914.

The house that used to stand here was built by John Allam in 1665. It presents a narrow frontage to the west, and a wider one to New College Lane to the south.

From 1773 the two sections were held by the tenant on the east side in New College Lane, and from 1801 they were held under one lease. It was owned by the city, and leases were granted as follows:

1634: John Allam, stationer
1647: Christopher Horne, gent.
1665: Edward Trender, joiner
1679: Margaret Warland, widow
1694, 1708: Catherine Wooley, widow
1719: Hugh Hopkins, mercer
1735: Thomas Trollope, gent.
1773, 1787: Daniel Prince, bookseller
1801, 1815, 1829: Joshua Cooke, bookseller (together with the house to the east)

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. The part of No. 28 facing on to Broad Street was then in the occupation of Mr Prince, and its frontage measured 5 yards 2 feet 0 inches; a Mr Brickland held the side facing on to New College Lane, measuring 8 yards 1 foot 3 inches. Prince was the University Publisher, and the books published by him have on the title-page a woodcut of the Sheldonian Theatre with its old lantern on top.

Parson Woodforde records many purchases made at Daniel Prince’s bookshop between 1759 and 1775, and also socialized with him at his house. He mentions his senior apprentice, Mr Cooke, in 1775: this is likely to be Joshua Cooke, who took over the business in 1801 and succeeded him as University Publisher.

The 1861 census shows Grace Cooke, aged 75, living here with her sister Susannah, aged 69. Both are described as unmarried and independent, and they are probably daughters of Joshua Cooke. They have a house-servant and (rather grandly) a footman.

At the time of the 1881 census the house was occupied by James Cattle, a butler, with his wife and five children, plus their servant.

Occupants of the former house at 28 Broad Street listed in directories

1846, 1852

The Misses G. & C. Cooke
1861–1867: Miss Cooke

1889–1901

Clarendon House:
John Henry Turner (1869)
James Cattle (1889)
John Slay (1890)
Thomas Byles (1893–1901)

Demolished in 1901 to make room for the development of the north quad of Hertford College

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home