BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 30: Former house/shop

30 Broad Street

Part of Hertford College

 

 

No. 30 Broad Street was a tiny shop (left). It was demolished in 1923 by Hertford College when they expanded northwards from their 1898 building on the corner of New College Lane right up to the Indian Institute. The new building that they built on the site (right) is much taller, matching the Indian Institute in height

 

 

Old shop at No. 30

 

 

 

No. 30 (the dwelling to the north of the octagonal chapel) was occupied by William Dutton in 1771, Thomas Richardson in 1765, John Collis in 1789 and 1808, John Castell, tailor in 1822 and 1837.

The 1772 Survey of Oxford shows Mr Rawlins at this house, and gives its frontage as 8 yards 0 ft 7 in.

In 1851 30 Broad Street was occupied by Anne Newark, a widowed dressmaker of 50, her 11-year-old daughter, and three lodgers.

In the 1861 it was occupied by a tobacconist, William Bacon, and his wife and five children: the eldest, William T. Bacon, was also a tobacconist, and is still listed here with his father in 1881.

 

 

The picture on the left shows No. 30 in about 1920, when it was occupied by Williams, a wardrobe dealer

Occupants of the original house at 30 Broad Street listed in directories

1839

Archibald Kerr, Boot & Shoe Maker

1846

Frances Holt, Stay maker

1852

A. Quartermain, Breeches maker & glover
Ann Newark, Milliner & dressmaker
Frances Holt, Stay maker

1861–1893

William Bacon, Tobacconist & Cricketing & lawn tennis outfitters

1894–1896

Turner Bros., Tobacconists & athletic outfitters

1898

Mrs Williams, Fancy repository

1899–1923

George E. Williams, Wardrobe dealer (E.A. Williams from 1912)

Demolished in 1923 to make room for the expansion of Hertford College

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home