BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 33: Former house

No. 33 Broad Street stood to the south of Seal’s Coffee House, and both were demolished in 1882 to make room for the first phase of the Indian Institute building.

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford, the house was occupied by a Mr Cox, and its frontage measured 4 yards 0 ft 6 in.

The 1841 census shows the builder Richard Redhead (50) living here with Anne (20), Richard (12), and one female servant.

The 1851 census shows the house occupied by Richard Redhead, a widower of 65, together with his daughter and nephew, and one servant. He is described as a builder and employer of several men.

At the time of the 1861 census, the house was occupied by Thomas Green, an ironmonger’s assistant of 33, with his sister, a lodger, and a servant.

In 1881 it was occupied by a bootmaker, George Gillman, and his wife, who had one servant: they must have been granted a very short lease, because within a year it was demolished.

Occupants of 33 Broad Street listed in directories

1841–1852

Richard Redhead, Builder, Land surveyor

1861–1876

Thomas Green

1880

G. Gillman

Demolished in 1882 (along with No. 34 to the north)
to make room for Phase 1 of the Indian  Institute

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home