BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 53: Blackwell’s Music Shop

53 Broad Street

 

The original house on this site passed into the hands of the city in 1569. The present building had the following lessees in the first half of the nineteenth century:

1814:
Samuel Collingwood, printer
(in his occupation)

1828:
Samuel Collingwood’s lease renewed
(in occupation of Rev. Burton)

1842:
John Collingwood and Joseph Parker (executors of Samuel Collingwood Esq.) (occupied by Mrs Lloyd)

 

It is a Grade II Listed Building (List Entry No. 1369354)

It is separated from the main Blackwell's shop to the east by the White Horse pub

 

Samuel Collingwood was the Superintendent of the University Press, which until 1832 was just across the road in the Clarendon Building; he retired after 36 years in the post in 1838. G. V. Cox in his Recollections of Oxford wrote of him:

“A.D. 1841. JAN 1. Died Mr. Collingwood, the Superintendent of the University Press. It was a proof of the liberality of the University, that its chief printer was known to be a zealous Dissenter. He was an accomplished, amiable, and good man, as well as an excellent printer, in which character, from the liberal share of the profits granted to him by the University, he accumulated a considerable fortune. His widow was his fourth wife; or, as he used to say, his “fourth edition”.

The next occupant was the widow Mrs Mary Lloyd. Her husband was Charles Lloyd, Bishop of Oxford, who had died in May 1829, and she probably moved here in 1830, as she is listed under Broad Street in Pigot's Directory for that year, and continues to be listed at 53 Broad Street under the “Gentry” lists in directories until her death. She was at home here at the time of the 1841 census, and again in 1851, when she was a widowed annuitant of 62. She and her unmarried daughter were looked after by a housekeeper, cook, housemaid, and footman.She died ih in December 1857

At the time of the 1861 census, the house is occupied by George Rawlinson, MA, a clergyman, his wife and eight children, and four servants.

William Slay, a college bedmaker, kept a boarding house here from about 1874, and Arthur John Evans (later Keeper of the Ashmolean) lodged here from about 1874 to 1878 (see Joan Evans, Time and Chance (1943), p. 182. At the time of the 1881 census there were no boarders as it was out of term, but Slay was here with his wife, seven sons, and a baby daughter. Notwithstanding his relatively humble position, he had four live-in servants himself: a cook, housemaid, kitchenmaid, and nursemaid.

From 1901 to 1922 the ground floor was a doctor’s surgery, and in 1919 Trinity College purchased the garden of this house to form part of the site of their library and its rose garden.

In 1924 this house was granted by Oxford City Council to St Mary Magdalen Church in exchange for St George’s Church in George Street, which had become disused. It served as their vicarage for the next twenty years.

In 1946 Trinity College purchased the freehold of the building, thanks to a bequest from Mr C.B. Marriott, and it became part of the college, known as Marriott House. It was used initially to house the Dean of the college.

In 1964 it had been damaged to such an extent by death-watch beetle that everything behind the street frontage had to be pulled down. Trinity rebuilt it with undergraduate rooms on the upper floor, but have let the ground floor to Blackwell’s since 1966. Originally their art bookshop, it is now their local books section.

Occupants of 53 Broad Street listed in directories

1830–1857

Mrs Mary Harriott Lloyd, Gentry

By 1861–1872

Revd George Rawlinson, Professor of Ancient History

By 1875–1884

William Slay, Boarding house keeper

1885–1899

Miss Mary Ann Lockwood, University lodgings

1901–1909

Robert W. Doyne, FRCS, Surgeon

1911–1922

Philip Edward H. Adams, MA, MB, DO Oxon, FRCS Eng
Surgeon & (from 1916) Margaret Ogilivie Reader in Ophthalmology

1923–1947

Revd Bartle Starmer Hack, MA
Vicar of St Mary Magdalen

plus the following doctors:

1929- 1930: Miss Dorothy Whitely, BM, B.Ch. Oxon,Physician & Surgeon
and Miss Constance E. Ridout, MRCS Eng, LRCP Lond., Physician & Surgeon

1934–1945: Miss Victoria Smallpeice, MD, BS, MRCP Lond., Physician (consulting room)

1935–1947: Miss Mary Fraser, MD, BS Lond., Medical practitioner

1947: Mrs Eleanor J. Herrin, MD, BCh, DCH, Physician (consulting room)

1954–1964

Alfred James Holladay, MA
Fellow Lecturer in Ancient history & Dean, Trinity College

Since 1971

Blackwell’s

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home