BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 35: Former Coach & Horses pub

Pictures on English Heritage website:

No. 35 Broad Street was the pub on the corner of Parks Road, at the east end of the row of thirteen houses dating from the first half of the seventeenth century that were that were demolished to make way for the New Bodleian Library in the late 1930s.

This pub had three different names:

  • In 1587 John Carter, described as a “joyner in Canditch” took out a licence to hang up a sign here with the name of the Prince’s Arms (twenty years before the King’s Arms opened on the opposite corner)
  • on 14 February 1723/4 Thomas Cale, a victualler of St Mary Magdalen, took out a licence for the new name of the Dog & Partridge. In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. The Dog & Partridge was then in the occupation of a Mr Davis, and its frontage measured 5 yards 2 feet 9 inches. In 1841 the publican was John Ryman, while the 1851 census shows Richard Cozens living at the pub with his wife, three small children, a lodger, and one servant.
  • The pub was reconstructed in October 1881, and Elizabeth Gilbert moved in. She had been landlady of the Coach & Horses at 44 Holywell Street, and when that pub was about to be demolished to make way for the Indian Institute she brought the sign with her and gave the name to this pub instead.

Landlords of 35 Broad Street listed in directories

Dog & Partridge
1823: Widow Collins
1830: William Wells
1839–1846: John Ryman
1861: John Horne, innkeeper& licensed victualler
1866–1867: Charles Herbert, beer retailer
1869–1872: James Hearn
1873–1876: Mrs Hearn
1880: Charles Meredith

Coach & Horses
1882–1884: Elizabeth Gilbert
1887–1896: James Creed Gilbert
1898–1913: Frank Adams
1914: Mrs Annie Adams
1915–1923: William Barnes
1924–1932: Richard Harold Walker
1934–1936: Walter Johnson

Demolished with twelve neighbouring houses in 1937
to make room for the New Bodleian Library

See the bound typescript in the Bodleian Library entitled “The Demolished Houses of Broad Street and the Freeborn Family” (1943), attributed to Emily Sarah Freeborn, and the webpage by Alan Simpson which reproduces some of the material in it.

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home