BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 43: Former house

43 Broad Street

 

No. 43 Broad Street was near the centre of the thirteen houses dating from the first half of the seventeenth century that were that were demolished to make way for the New Bodleian Library in the late 1930s.

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. No. 43 was then in the occupation of a Mr Bolton, and its frontage measured 7 yards 1 feet 1 inch.

George Dennis Dudley, a glazier, is listed at No. 43 in the 1841 census, and is still here in retirement in 1861 (aged 74) with wife and two servants. He died in 1863, and his heirs assigned the lease of this house to Dr Acland at No. 41. Acland bought the house from Christ Church in 1866, and continued to let it out, although he incorporated some of the back houses into his own house.

In 1881 it was occupied by John Hughes, described here as a lodging house keeper but listed in directories as Keeper of the Sheldonian Theatre. He lived here with his wife and four children, and their general servant and lodger.

Occupants of 43 Broad Street listed in directories

1829

Mrs Dudley

1846, 1852, 1861

George Dennis Dudley, Plumber & glazier

1866–1869

W.C.C. Bramwell, Architect & Surveyor

1871–1884

John Hughes, Keeper of the Sheldonian Theatre

1887–1898

The Misses Pullee (Miss Ann Pullee from 1889)
University & Family Lodgings

1899

Mrs Lake, University Lodgings

1900–1911

Harold Arthur Prichard, MA, Lecturer, Trinity College

1912–1914

Revd Frederick Homes Dudden, MA
Chaplain, Lecturer in Theology, & Fellow of Lincoln College

1915–1923

Norman Whatley, MA, Fellow, Dean, & Lecturer, Hertford College

1926–1929

Revd Henry Charles Wace, MA, Fellow, Chaplain, & Bursar, Brasenose College

1930

Cyril William Carter, MA
University Demonstrator in Biochemistry, Fellow,
Praelector in Physiology, Dean, & Magister Puerorum, Queen’s

1932

Rev. Montague Summers, MA

1934–1936

Rev. Frederick Davis Sparks Hedley, BA

This house was demolished with twelve neighbouring houses in 1937
to make room for the New Bodleian Library

See the bound typescript in the Bodleian Library entitled “The Demolished Houses of Broad Street and the Freeborn Family” (1943), attributed to Emily Sarah Freeborn, and the webpage by Alan Simpson which reproduces some of the material in it.

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home