BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 45: Former shops and businesses

45 Broad Street

 

 

No. 45 Broad Street was the third from the left of the thirteen houses dating from the first half of the seventeenth century that were that were demolished to make way for the New Bodleian Library in the late 1930s. It is a wide house with extra premises behind, and it is difficult to ascertain exactly which business occupied each part in the nineteenth century

No. 45 was a tenement of Magdalen College, with the following leases granted:

  • 1591: William Clarke, a labourer
  • 1637, 1647: John Ellis, gent.
  • 1662: Christopher Brooks
  • 1677: Widow Brooks
  • 1691: Richard Wood
  • 1705: Russee
  • 1717: Dame Norreys
  • 1745, 1759, 1773, 1787, 1801: Thomas Curtis, apothecary
  • 1815: Richard Curtis, apothecary
  • 1829, 1843: “Late Richard Curtis”

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. Nos. 45 was then in the occupation of Mr Curtiss, and its frontage measured 9 yards 1 feet 9 inches.

There was a narrow passage to the east of No. 45 leading to a long outbuilding: this was used as Billiard Rooms from before 1841 to 1889, and then by other businesses. In the 1840s, the shop at the front was divided into two premises, and the buildings at the back were numbered 45a and 45b.

Betteris Billiard Room

Left: Thomas Betteris’s upstairs billiard room in 1853, as illustrated in Cuthbert Bede, The Adventures of Mr Verdant Green.

The 1851 census shows No. 45 occupied by a widow, Charlotte Sheard, and her two young children: she is described as a wine merchant. It may be her son Edwin who later went into partnership of the billiard rooms. Also listed at No. 45 (presumably living in the building behind) was Thomas Betteris, described as a “Billiard Table Keeper” with his wife and son Edwin (who had the same occupation), his daughter, and a servant. Betteris had lived there since at least the time of the 1841 census, and was still there in 1861, by which time he had five children and two servants.

Between 1876 and 1881 No. 45 only had a single occupant (at the time of the 1881 census this was was Aaron Thornton, an unmarried waiter of 49): presumably the building was undergoing alteration at this time, ready to reopen as a boarding house in 1882.

From 1882 to 1889 John Chaundy & Son’s “ye old picture shop” was at 45b behind.

In 1904 the Oxford Chronicle reports that the offices of the Electric Company that had been at the back “have been removed to the front premises in Broad Street, thereby offering to the public greater facilities of approach and convenience”.

Occupants of 45 Broad Street listed in directories

45

45a

45b at back
(Sheldonian Chambers)

1846, 1852:
C. M. Sheard
Wine Merchant

1846, 1852
J. Thorp & Son
Linen Drapers, Silk Mercers,
Haberdashers, Hosiers &c.

(Main shop at 44 next door)

1839–1889
Billiard rooms

1839–1853: Thomas Betteris

1861–1872: John William Dickeson

1875–1889: John William Dickeson
& E. T. Sheard

1861–1875:
John Henry TurnerAccountant

1876
Henry Druce

1880:
Mrs Davies

 

1882–1889
Sheldonian House
University & family lodgings

1893–1895
Misses Maberly
Type writers

1896–1903:
Oxford Typewriting Chambers

1882–1890
John Chaundy, Carver & gilder
(Main shop at 49)

1891–1904:
Oxford Electric Co. Ltd
(45b/Sheldonian Chambers)

1904–1910:
Oxford Electric Co. Ltd

 

1889–1911
Thomas Pearce
(later spelt Pierce)
House agent & accountant

1904–1908:
Church Society for
Training the  Speaking Voice

(later Voice Training Society
(Oxford University Branch)

The situation here is complicated. From 1893 to 1904 Biddle Adams & Co. (tailors) are also listed at No. 45.
It is possible that different parts of the complicated premises were numbered 45a and 45b at different times.

1911–1936:
Frederick Herbert Dyer Cutliffe
Teacher in the English Language

1921–1928:
Oxford Secretarial
& Typewriting Bureau

later Oxford Typewriting Chambers
Later Sheldonian Typewriting Office (45A)

1921–1935:
Smith & Goodson
Stationers & post office (45B)

This house was demolished with twelve neighbouring houses in 1937
to make room for the New Bodleian Library

See the bound typescript in the Bodleian Library entitled “The Demolished Houses of Broad Street and the Freeborn Family” (1943), attributed to Emily Sarah Freeborn, and the webpage by Alan Simpson which reproduces some of the material in it.

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home