BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Trinity College main gates

Trinity College gates

Most of Trinity College is hidden away behind these gates: it does not show its buildings on the street like its neighbour Balliol (which looms to the left of this picture and has the longest façade of any Oxford college).

The gates are jointly Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1046621) with the neighbouring cottages. They were given to the college by Lord North in 1737, but the piers, which are copies of those in the garden, date only from 1889. The only part of the college which can be seen easily through the gates is the chapel, built in 1691-4.

Website of Trinity College

Trinity gates and cottages

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home