BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 12: Isola

12 Broad Street

 

No. 12 Broad Street dates from the early nineteenth century. It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1047344) and is owned by Oxford City Council.

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford it was occupied by Mr Malchair, with its frontage measured as 6yd 0ft 6in.

At the time of the 1851 census this building was occupied by the tailor James Price and his wife and his six children, looked after by one servant.

Charles Titian Hawkins had his accountant’s business in the second half of the nineteenth century, but he let the upstairs rooms out, living at Mayfield in Summertown, which he had bought in 1851. Despite being the biggest landowner in Summertown, in 1895 he became bankrupt at the age of 73: it was “one of the most sensational financial disasters known in Oxford”, according to the Oxford Times.

In 1881 there were three people renting the upstairs premises (the retired bookseller William Graham, an undergraduate, and a gardener), looked after by two servants.

 

 

During the second world war there was a post office here: hence the pillar box that still stands outside.

Occupants of 12 Broad Street listed in directories

1839, 1841

Philip Hawks, Carver, Gilder, & Printseller

1846, 1852

James Price, Tailor & robe maker

1866–1895

Charles Titian Hawkins, Accountant and auditor (later Public Auditor)

1896–1908

Caleb Court-Col, Landscape and architectural photographer

1909–1923

J.E. Elliott & Co., Electrical engineers
(with Moses Shepherd’s lodging house upstairs 1909–10)

1924–1954

Shrimpton & Morris, Bootmakers

Also Post Office, 1937–1947

1956–2002

R. Gillman & Son, Bootmakers (later shoes)

2002

Akme Expression (The strangest bookshop and exhibition ever in Oxford”)

Since 2003

Isola

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home