BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 16: Cash & Go

16 Broad Street

 

No. 16 dates from the late eighteenth century. It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1047346), and is owned by Oxford City Council

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. No. 16 was then in the occupation of a Mrs Clement, and its frontage measured 3  yards 1 feet 6 inches (by far the narrowest house in the street)

At the time of the 1851 census the building was occupied by Thomas Harris, bookseller and librarian, with his wife and baby son, a student lodger, and two servants.

In 1861 it was occupied by Mrs Wiggins and her three daughters Annie, Jenny, and Emily, all described as assistants in a Berlin warehouse. By 1881 it was occupied by Miss Mary Wiggins, a “Berlin wool rep” with one female boarder and two servants.

 

Occupants of 16 Broad Street listed in directories

1839

John & Richard Dewe, Stationers, Booksellers, & Public Library
Mrs Dewe, Milliner & Dressmaker

1846

Elizabeth Dewe, Bookseller

1852, 1861

Thomas Harris, Bookseller, circulating library, stationer

1861–1893

Miss Mary Wiggins
1861–1881: Berlin wool repository & circulating library
1882–1897: Agent for J.F. Mortimer, Plymouth dyeing works
1889–1893: University lodgings

1895

Mr McIntyre, Florist

1896–1903

George F. Wiggins, Auctioneer

1905–1914

William Stevens Carver, Accountant

1915–1969

William Mark Bayliss (later Sons & Co), Chartered accountants

1970–2001

Part of Lloyd’s Bank next door

Since 2003

Cash & Go

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home