BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 21: Inner Space

Inner Space

 

No. 21 probably dates from the early eighteenth century. It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1047348).

This building is owned by Oxford City Council. At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford it was occupied by a Mr Sanders (probably the cordwainer Robert Saunders), and its frontage was measured as 5yd 0ft 9in. The yard in behind was known as Saunders Court.

 

At the time of the 1841 census this shop with the residence upstairs was occupied by the bootmaker John Saunders. In 1861 he was still there, aged 69, with his wife and children aged 6, 12, and 21.

 

Parker bookstamp

From 1867 to 1914, this was a bookshop. The above stamp dates from 1892 and is taken from a book that still available for loan from the City Library in the twenty-first century.

The bookshop must only have occupied the ground floor, because in 1881 the accommodation upstairs is let out to Alfred Wood (a cab driver), and his wife.

Occupants of 21 Broad Street listed in directories

1823–1861

John Saunders, Boot & shoe maker
(continuing in shop with Acock below in 1866–1867)

1867–1891

J. A. Acock & Co. (also at 22 from 1889)
Booksellers & stationers, university & city subscription circulating library

1893–1894

William Parker, Bookseller (also at 22)

1895–1912

Frank Harvey, Bookseller (also at No. 22 to 1909)

1913–1914

Hubert Giles, Bookseller

1915–1972

Millin & Co., Tailors to 1947, Furriers thereafter

1976–1990s

Midland Bank Ltd

c.2000–2006

Gaff

2007–present

Inner Space, Meditation Centre and book shop

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home