South wall: Christ Church Meadow
The sharp bend in Deadman’s Walk in Christ Church Meadow (above) marks the point where the eastern wall of the town met the southern wall. The last section of the east wall is no more, but the south wall gets off to a good start, running westwards and marking the boundary of Merton, Corpus Christi, and Christ Church (below).
Deadman’s Walk thus runs immediately outside the wall of the medieval town, and is so named because it was the route taken by Jewish funeral processions from St Aldate’s to their burial ground in what in 1621 became the Physic or Botanic Garden.
The section alongside Corpus Christi College has the following bastion:
The next section of the south wall was lost when Christ Church was built. There would have been an unnamed gate at this point, and then the wall did a short detour to the south to include St Frideswide’s Priory before returning to its original line and meeting St Aldate’s opposite Brewer Street.