Oxford History: City Wall

Back
Next

South wall: Brewer Street


The South Gate would have spanned St Aldate’s, and then the wall continues along the north side of Brewer Street (Brewer Street itself thus being outside the medieval town). The wall is intact here (apart from the chapel in the middle built in 1664), and now serves to mark the boundary of Pembroke College (founded 1624).

Pembroke College

Pembroke College wall

Pembroke west


Next:The Little Gate Next

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 12 September, 2012

Headington home Small Shark Oxford History home