CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

1 Cornmarket Street: Part of Lloyd's Bank


1 and 1a Cornmarket

The former No 1 Cornmarket Street is part of the large corner building dating from 1903 which has its main frontage in the High Street. It is now occupied entirely by Lloyds Bank.

The whole of this corner building is Grade II listed (list entry 1369375). It was in the parish of St Martin's (Carfax) until that church was demolished in 1896, whereafter it was in the parish of St Martin's & All Saints until All Saints Church was deconsecrated in 1971. It is now deemed to be part of the main bank in the High Street.

Jolly Farmers

The Original Jolly Farmers pub (1/1A Cornmarket Street)

The Jolly Farmers stood at 1 Cornmarket Street on the south-east corner of Carfax.

It is named as the Jolly Farmers public house in Jackson's Oxford Journal of 10 September 1836, reporting the death of the printer and landlord Edward Midwinter here at the age of 38.

By 1872 it was known as the Original  Jolly Farmers (presumably to distinguish it from the newer pub of that name in Paradise Street, which was open by 1840). It was a small pub, not much more than a beerhouse, and its landlords were not subject to a university wine licence. The censuses show no live-in servants.

In 1887 the Jolly Farmers pub “died out as an acting house for want of trade”, as there were “13 other such houses” in Cornmarket. (Its licence, however, continued to be renewed for two years, and Jackson’s Oxford Journal records a dispute over the licence, which was eventually resolved in October 1890, when it was transferred to 1 Donnington Road.)

In 1887 the old pub was split into two shops (1 and 1a Cornmarket Street), with a stationer at 1A on the left and Smith's Creamery at 1 on the right.

 

 

Right: All that remains of the Jolly Farmers' pub today

 

Photograph of 1896 showing the narrow timbered building at 1A which still exists, and The Creamery in No. 1 on the corner, which has been rebuilt

Samuels at 1 Cornmarket

The present building

No. 1 Cornmarket was demolished in 1901 at the same time as Nos. 1, 2 & High Street around the corner to make way for the present building. Originally only the part facing the High Street was Lloyds Bank, and 1 and 1A Cornmarket remained separate shops. Initially Lloyds Bank just moved into Nos. 2 & 3 High Street, and so 1 High Street and 1 & 1a Cornmarket Street continued as separate shops on the corner.

The present ornate building was designed by Stephen Salter and R. C. Davey. Pevsner wrote that it “shows the consequences of seeing too much Jackson about every day. There is nowhere that motifs don’t sprout, alternately blocked columns, Ipswich windows, big, steep shaped gables”.

 

 

 

Right: The new building at 1 Cornmarket in about 1915, when 1 Cornmarket Street was occupied by H. Samuel the jeweller, and the narrow shop at 1A to the north was a stationer's

Nos. 1 and 1A remained separate shops at ground-floor level until Lloyds Bank expanded into both of them in the late 1920s. Since that date neither of these Cornmarket numbers has existed.

Occupants of 1 and 1A Cornmarket in directories etc.

(No. 1A is the same throughout, but No. 1 was rebuilt in 1903)

Date

No. 1A (left) No. 1 (right)

By 1830–1887

The Original Jolly Farmers

Some landlords
(not subject to nineteenth-century university wine licences):
Edward Midwinter (1830–1836)
M. A. Midwinter(1839)
Edward Sutton (1841–1852)
Miss Mary Burton (1861)
James Simmonds (1867)
William Hunt (1868–1872)
Joseph Henry Gynes (1878)
Thomas Young Bing (1880 & 1881)

Appears to be
part of the
Jolly Farmers

1890–1902

A. C. Vivian, Stationer

Smith & Co (“The Creamery”)

1903

Rebuilt 1902–1903

1905–1914+

H. Samuel, Jeweller

1921–1925

Clifford (Thomas) Son & Cole Ltd
Auctioneers and estate agents

1926 onwards

Not listed separately under Cornmarket: now part of Lloyds Bank in the High

1 Cornmarket Street in the censuses

It appears that the Jolly Farmers pub occupied both 1 and 1A Cornmarket until at least the 1870s,
but later retreated to No. 1 on the corner until it closed in the late 1880s

1841

Edward Sutton (40), whose main trade was that of a tailor, lived here at the Jolly Farmers with William (15), Matilda (10), and Mary Sutton (5). Also in the house was Fanny Midwinter (5), probably his niece, which implies that he was the brother-in-law of the previous landlord, Edward Midwinter (see list of landlords below).

1851

Edward Sutton (54), now described as “tailor & publican”, was still here at the Jolly Farmers with his wife Matilda (54), daughters Elizabeth (24), Matilda (21) and Mary (17), and his son Edward (19), a tailor. Also in the household was Sutton’s nephew Thomas Sutton (21), who was a a tailor, and his niece Mary A. Midwinter (25), who was a dressmaker. Also living with them were draper’s assistant William Brown (25) and four other lodgers.

1861

Miss Mary Burton (55) was now the publican at the Jolly Farmers, living here with two lodgers (a tailor and a college servant).

1871

William Hunt (57), licensed victualler, lived here at the Jolly Farmers with his wife Eliza (57) and their son William (17). A family with the surname Gynes was boarding with them (later to become landlord), and they had one servant.

1881

No. 1: Thomas Bing (40), publican, lived here at the Jolly Farmers with his wife Oxford-born wife Sarah (25) and daughter Clara (3).

No. 1A: Abraham Zacharias (62), born in Prussia, was a silversmith here, living above his shop with his London-born wife Leah (64) and his children Rosa (31), Joel (29), Esther (28), and Theresa (26). His son Joel was a china and glass dealer at 27 Cornmarket at this time.

The Jolly Farmers' pub closed in the late 1880s

1891

No. 1: Miss Marian Smith (24), a restaurant manager, lived over the Smith & Co Creamery with her brother Frank (16) and sister Sophy (15), who worked as her assistants,

No. 1A: Elizabeth Vivian (52) lived here on her own means with her son Arthur (27), who ran the stationery shop downstairs. They had one domestic servant.

1901

No. 1: Miss Marian Smith (30), manageress of the creamery on the ground floor, lived here with an assistant and a general servant.

No. 1A: Mary Vivian (38) a widowed stationer, lived here over her shop with her sons John (6) and Arthur (5). There was a stationer's assistant boarding with her, and she had one servant.

No. 1 was rebuilt in 1902, but No. 1A remained as before.

1911

No listing: presumably a store room for H. Samuel the jeweller at the new shop at No. 1 and for Vivian's stationer's shop at the original No. 1A.

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home