CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

Market Street (off east side of Cornmarket)


Market Street in February 2009

Market Street runs from between 12 Cornmarket Street and the large block of Northgate House to Turl Street. Its current name comes from the Covered Market, which opened in 1774 and is visible on the far right of the above photograph, .

The street originally had a chain here at the west end, and from 1330 to 1340 it was known as Le Cheyne Lane; in 1502 as Cheney Lane; and in 1513 as Cheyne Lane.

Salter states that in the seventeenth century it was known as Jennings Lane, after Richard Jennings, the whitebaker who then occupied the present Nos. 3–6 Market Street.

By 1762 it was known as Jesus College Lane after the college that lines its north east side, and this name was still used as an alternative to Market Lane as late as 1837. (This can be confusing, as Ship Street, lined by the north part of the college, was also known as Jesus Lane.)

There were three pubs in the street in the mid-nineteenth century: the Seven Stars, the Crown & Thistle, and the Abingdon Arms.

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home