CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

36 Cornmarket (former Northgate Tavern)


36 Cornmarket

This pub is listed as Granby’s Head in 1794, and as the Marquis of Granby by 1842.

By 1880 is was the Leopold Arms.

In about 1905 it was split into two businesses, with the pub (now called the North Gate Tavern) on the left and a shop on the right. The Northgate Tavern closed on 22 November 1971.

In the Censuses

1841

John Brightwell (30) is listed at the victualler at this (unnamed) pub. He lives here with Jane (25) and Charles (12 months) and Eliza and Bryan Brightwell (both 15). There are three male servants and another boy of 15 in the household.

1851

Frederic Lipscomb (39) is listed as publican here. Born in Wytham, he is a widower, living with his schoolboy son Frederic (10) and an ostler.

1861

The pub is now named as “Granby’s Head”, and Thomas Goodger (55) is listed as publican. He and his wife Sarah (57) live here with their granddaughter Sarah Jane (10): all three were born in Leicestershire. A sawyer is lodging with them.

1881

The pub is now named the “Leopold Arms”, and Charles Lovelock (49) is listed as inn keeper. He lived here with his wife Emma (47) and daughters Mary (22) and Juley (11 months). They have one servant (a cook).

Occupants of 36 Cornmarket listed in directories etc.

Date

No. 36 (left)

No. 36A (right)

1839–1872

Granby’s Head or Marquis of Granby

Landlords (not subject to 19C university wine licence):

Thomas Peake (1794)
Ann Ward (1823)
Elizabeth Ward (1830)
R. Castle (1839)
John Brightwell (1841–1846)
Frederick Lipscomb (1850–1852)
Thomas Goodger (1861–1867)
Richard Tymms (1872)

1880–1901

Leopold Arms

Landlords:

Mrs Hebborn (1880)
Charles Lovelock (1881)
Charles Spier (1884–1890)
Henry Tayler or Taylor (1895–1899)
Thomas William Morgan (1901–1902)

1911–1921

Northgate Tavern or Hotel

Landlords:

George R. Boreham (1911–1921)
Percy W. Chapman (1928–1956)
No listing (1958–1960)
“Northgate Tavern” (1962–1970)

Rudge-Whitworth Ltd.
Cycle & motor cycle makers & engineers

1928–1947

Millets (Broughton) Ltd, Clothiers

E. G. Milletts & Co., Clothiers

1952–1970

Oxford & District Co-operative Society
(also next door at 35)

This part of the shop is described as
“Sports Outfitters” from 1952

It was separate from 35 until 1964,
when the two shops together were
“Sports outfitters, toys, prams;
and from 1966 they were
“Jewellers, outfitters, toys”

1970

Music Centre Record Dealers

1972

Vacant (being altered into two shops)

1973–1980

Martin Ford Ltd

Harlequin Record Shop

1986

?

1988

Jean Jeanie

?

1993

West World Leather

?

1996

Jean Factory

?

1998–2013

The Works remainder books

2013–present

Itsu

Old pictures on other websites and in books

West side of Cornmarket in c.1905, showing the Northgate Tavern at No. 36 on the immediate left and then Rudge-Whitworth’s motorcycle shop at No. 36A

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home