59A Cornmarket (The Crown Inn)
The Crown stands back from the street between 58 and 59 Cornmarket, and was originally numbered 58A (or 58½), but later settled on the number 59A. It is the only surviving pub in Cornmarket.
(The Crown Inn should not be confused
with the original Crown Inn at 3 Cornmarket
on the other side of the road, which ceased to be a public house in the 1830s)
The Crown at 59A Cornmarket listed in directories etc.
Subject to university wine licences
1823: George Allen
1830: John Bradley
1835–1845: Barrington Buggins
1846–1848: William Noyes
1850–1867: William Peter Walker Hebborn
1872: Mrs Hebborn
1880: Mrs Betts
1881–1890: Henry Taylor
1895–1902: James Alfred Whiting
1911, 1914: John Taylor
1921–1928: George Gardner
1932–1954: Benjamin Percy Bolt
1956–1960: Alfred James William Smith
1962 onwards: listed simply as “Crown Inn”
In the Censuses
William P. W. Hebborn (25), who was born in Frilford, is the innkeeper of the Crown. He is living with his wife Sarah (27) and their baby Mary (6 months). Also living on the premises are an ostler and two female servants.
William P. W. Hebborn (35) is still here with his wife Sarah (38) and their children Mary (1), Fred (9), Harry (8), Frank (3), William (1), and Charles (9 months). They have three servants (two female and one male) and one visitor staying.
The licensed victualler here is Henry Taylor (42), living with his wife Maria (40) and daughter (8). They have two boarders (an inn ostler and a college servant) and two visitors (a grocer’s assistant and a general labourer).