OXFORD MEDICAL MEN

Previous
Next

Samuel Jackson, M.D. (1618–1674/5)


Samuel Jackson was the son of the Oxford apothecary William Jackson and his wife Anne Short, who are recorded in the register of St Mary the Virgin as having married at St Bartholomew’s on 10 October 1614. They had the following children:

  • Unbaptised infant buried at St Mary the Virgin on 29 July 1615
  • Martha, baptised at St Mary the Virgin on 9 October 1616
  • Samuel himself, baptised at St Mary the Virgin on 17 July 1618
  • Thomas, baptised at St Mary the Virgin on 2 March 1619/20. This is the “Thomas Jackson apothecary” buried at that church on 6 July 1671
  • George, baptised at St Mary the Virgin on 3 January 1621/2. He was matriculated at the University of Oxford from Magdalen College on 27 January 1636/7 at the age of 15, and was a Demy from 1636 to 1643, gaining his BA on 3 November 1640 and his MA on 7 July 1643. He is described as a “Pharmacop. gen. cond.”, and is probably the “Mr George Jackson” who died of the plague and was buried at St Mary the Virigin on 9 August 1644
  • Charles, baptised at St Mary the Virgin on 29 July 1623, buried there on 16 June 1624
  • Peter, baptised at St Mary the Virgin on on 8 January 1625/6, buried there on 24 October 1626
  • Mary, baptised at St Mary the Virgin on 25 March 1628. She married the Oxford Mayor Francis Greneway in 1656

Samuel Jackson matriculated at the University of Oxford from Christ Church on 26 June 1635, aged 17. He obtained his BA on 19 June 1632 and his MA on 18 June 1642, but was expelled from the University that year, because he took up arms for the King during the civil war.

Jackson’s father, described as “Mr William Jackson apothecary” was buried at St Mary the Virgin on 23 July 1645. His mother Anne remained a widow was buried there on 24 March 1663/4.

Jackson was allowed to practise medicine on 4 December 1647, and was reinstated at the University in 1660. Anthony Wood (I:509) tells the following story involving Jackson:

Neither wanted there continuall tell-tales and discoverers of conventicles in Oxon, though themsleves were drunkards and sneerers. Several schollers, I remember, (viz. Mr. Samuel Jackson, Mr. <Charles> Pickring, <Thomas> Ireland, etc. of Xt Church.) having bin at mother Harwood’s in Cat street in the month of Decemb. 1663 and comming from thence late at night almost drunk, they saw a light in the old Congregation house adjoyning to St. Marie’s; who therupon thinking on their vigilance that there had bin a conventicle, goe and call proctor <Thomas> Tomkins of Alls. and other schollers to apprehend the conventiclers. To which place going with great speed and bursting open the doores they found none but Mr. Richard Davis the bookseller and his wife and boy looking out books to exchange at London; for he some weeks before had taken the said Congregation house of the University to make a ware house. And soe they were frustrated in their designes. Note that beofre they entred, they listning under the window, hard Davis say to his wife ‘O the bible! I had almost forgot the bible’ – which made them verily suspect there had bin a conventicle.

On Friday 2 September 1664, Sunday 1 January 1665, and Tuesday 13 June 1665, Wood records that he visited “Pinnock’s” with Dr Jackson and others.

Jackson obtained his D.Med. on 21 June 1671, and less than four years later, on 3 March 1674/5, he died at the age of 56. He was buried at St Mary the Virgin Church two days later: his entry in the burial register reads simply “Dr Jackson”. Anthony Wood recorded:

March 3, W. Samuel Jackson, doctor of Physick and student of Christchurch, died in the house of Francis Greenway of Allhalllowes parish, milliiner (who married Mary, sister to the said doctor), W., 3 March, 174/5; and was buried in the body of St. Marie’s parish church neare the body of his father William Jackson sometimes an apothecary of Oxon, sine prole.

Wood goes on to say that Jackson “pretended no armes”, so Richard Hawkins devised arms for his hearse from his bookse, namely “argent on a chevron sable 3 5-foyles of the first between 3 eagle’s heads sable; on a cheif vert 2 3-foyles slipt or”.

Jackson was buried beside his father, mother, and his brother Thomas in the vault that he had provided for his family. A wall monument high on the south wall of the tower, which reads as follows:

Commune
hoc conditorium , mutuæ
concordiæ dum vixerunt symbolum,
sibi suisq’ (Patri Guilielmo, Annæ matri,
fratri Thomæ quatuorq’ nepotibus e Sorore
hic sepultis ipsiq’ & quotquot ex eius
posteris huc inferri curabitur) instituit
Samuel JACKSON in hac Paroecia natus,
in Æde Christi Alumnus: ubi, toga ad tempus
deposita, militiæ Regiæ contra Rebelles strenuam
operam centurio collocavit., ad studia
reversus in Medicina, facultate gentilitia,
summum tum peritiæ tum honoris gradum
merito suo adeptus est: anteactis laboribus
ultra 56 ætatis annum vitam non conce-
dentibus suorum luctu & reipublicæ
damno, obijt Mart: 3o Annoq’
Salutis 1674.

Memorial to Samuel Jackson

Samuel JACKSON set up this common tomb
(a symbol of their mutual concord when they were alive)
to himself and to his family (to his father William, his mother Anne,
his brother Thomas, and his four nephews by his sister [Mrs Mary Greneway],
and as many of his descendants as can be brought in here).

He was born in this parish, and was an undergraduate at Christ Church;
where, putting aside his gown in the current circumstances, as a
captain of the King’s militia he undertook a strenuous siege against the rebels,
and then turning again to his studies, by his own merit he attained
the highest position both in skill and in honour in the Faculty of Medicine;
with his labours not making any concession to his age of over 56,
he died on 3 March 1674 with the grief of his family and a loss to the state.

  • PROB 11/347/539:
    PCC Will of Samuel Jackson, Doctor in Physic, Doctor in Medicine, proved 15 May 1675

 

Medical Men Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History Home