Oxford History: The High

Back
Next

Present and former pubs of Oxford’s High Street


There were three inns and about ten pubs in the High Street during the nineteenth century; more if you count pubs such as the Radcliffe Arms just off the High in Radcliffe Square. Today the only ones left are the Eastgate Hotel, the Mitre, the Chequers, and the Wheatsheaf.

Coaching Inns of the High

The Mitre

17–18 High Street

Now a Beefeater Restaurant

The Greyhound

On eastern corner of High Street junction with Longwall

Demolished by Magdalen College in 1845

The Angel

79–85 High Street

Closed in 1866. Most of the hotel was demolished to make way for the Examination Schools, but a part remains at 83–85 High Street

Pubs of the High

Queen’s Arms

48 High Street

Closed by the end of the eighteenth century

Coach & Horses

Behind the former
49 High Street

Closed and demolished in 1901

Light Horseman

Behind the former 51 High Street

Closed in 1899
Demolished in 1901

Flying Horse / Eastgate

73 High Street

Rebuilt in 1900
Still open as a hotel

Wheatsheaf

129A High Street

Still a pub

Chequers

131A High Street

Still a pub

Vine
(aka The Grapes

133 High Street

Closed in 1905
Demolished in 1937

Market Vaults

134 High Street

By 1881 to 1935

Fox

137 High Street

Closed in 1882
Building now a shop

Red Lion

139 High Street

Closed c.1850
Building demolished mid-1930s

[Jolly] Post Boys

140 High Street to c.1850;
39 High Street thereafter

When Morrells bought the lease of No. 139, they closed No. 140 and transferred the name to No. 139 next door; building demolished in mid-1930s

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 16 September, 2012

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home