Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

8: Reed Employment


8 High Street

No 8 is a very narrow building squeezed in between two much wider ones.

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. According to Salter, No. 8 was then in the occupation of a Mr Slatter, and its frontage measured just 4 yards 0 feet 7 inches.

At the time of the 1851 census, Esther Furley, the widow of the poulterer who had held this shop, lived upstairs with two servants.

The house upstairs was occupied by the architect Charles Buckler and his wife in 1861. No one was living there in 1871.

In 1881, the surveyor and auctioneer John B. Hobdell (one of the partners in the ground-floor premises) lived upstairs with his 15-year-old schoolboy son.

In 1901 Stephen King, who sold china and glass, lived over his shop with his wife and baby son.

Occupiers of 8 High Street

1839, 1846

John Furley, Poulterer

By 1852–1872

John Fisher, Surveyor, auctioneer, & builder

1876–1885

Fisher & Hobdell, Auctioneers, builders, & surveyors

1887–1896

H. Harris, Fancy bazaar

1896–1968

S. King & Son, China & glass warehouse

1970–1980

Crombey Ltd, Outfitters

1980+

Music Market (upstairs)

By 1993–present

Reed Employment, Employment Bureau

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 6 May, 2014

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home