Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

13: Luxottica Eyeware


13 High Street

Nos. 13–16 High Street were built in 1773–4 by John Gwynn to form the frontage to the new covered market and were known as “New Parade”.

There is an avenue into the market in the centre of this group between Nos. 14 and 15, and one each side.

Nos. 13–15 High Street are jointly Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1369376).

The first occupier wrote on the wet plaster “James Clarke, mercer, 1774”.

At the time of the 1851 census the hatter Nathaniel Castle had this shop and lived upstairs with his wife and his apprentice Robert Juggins, two servants, and two student lodgers.

In 1861 the hatter & hosier John Juggins lived here over his shop with his wife and son and two servants.

The upstairs of No. 13 was home to the Gridiron Club from 1890 to 1913 (when it moved to premises over the Midland Bank near Carfax). The 1901 census shows Edwin Cross, the club manager, living at the club with his wife and four servants: a housemaid, kitchenmaid, kitchen porter, and page boy.

Occupiers of 13 High Street

1774

James Clarke, mercer

By 1830–1861

Nathaniel Castle, Hatter, hosier, etc. (to 1852)
Mrs Castle (1861)

1866–1880

John Juggins, Hatter & hosier

1882–1903

Miss Alice Slade, Milliner, florist, &c.

1904

Part of City Drapery Stores

1905–1912

Johnson Bros., Dyers
Bradbury & Hay, Tailors

1913–1914

Johnson Bros., Dyers
James E. Hall, Tobacconist

1915 –1923

Johnson Bros., Dyers

Sydney Herbert Jones, Tobacconist (1915–1918)
Charles P. Webber, Art Needlework Department (1919–1923)

1925–1971

C. P. Webber (see also Nos. 9, 10–12, and 15)

1973

Costa International Menswear (also at 9–12)

1975–1976+

Stag Shop, Men’s wear

By 1995–2014

Skipton Building Society

2014–2016

Vacant

2016–present

Luxottica Eyeware

English Heritage: No. 13 when it was Miss Alice Slade’s shop

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home