Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

14: Caffè Nero


14 High Street

Nos. 13–16 High Street were built in 1773–4 by John Gwynn to form the frontage to the new covered market, and were known as “New Parade”.

There is an avenue into the market in the centre of this group between Nos. 14 and 15, and another one on each side.

Nos. 13–15 High Street are jointly Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1369376).

At the time of the 1851 census the tailor John Embling lived here over his shop with his wife and a general servant. They were still there in 1861; in 1871 it was just John Embling, who was now a widower, and his two servants.

In 1881 Arthur Williams Bickerton, tobacconist and wine merchant, lived upstairs here. He was an unmarried man of 33 and lived with his 13-year-old nephew, and a housekeeper, clerk, and domestic servant.

Occupiers of 14 High Street

1839–1872

John & James Embling (1839); then John Embling, Tailor

1875–1883

Thomas Bickerton [later Bickerton Bros.], Tobacconist

1884–1892

Bartlett & Jones, Cigar & wine merchants

1893–1932

G. T. Jones, Cigar importer & wine & spirit merchant

1934–1971

Webber’s (part of) [see also Nos. 9, 10–12, 13, and 15]

1973–2000

Sketchley Cleaners Ltd

2001–present

Caffè Nero

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home