Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

16: Vacant / Brook Street Bureau


16 High Street

The present Nos. 13–16 High Street were built in 1773–4 by John Gwynn to form the frontage to the new covered market and were known as “New Parade”. Nos. 13, 14, and 15 are jointly Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1369376, numbered as 12–15). This shop at No. 16 is separately Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047270). The four shops forming the original market front were in the parish of All Saints until that church was deconsecrated in 1971.

There is an avenue into the market in the centre of this group between Nos. 14 and 15, and one each side: the easternmost entrance is shown above right.

The London & County Bank was situated here at 16 High Street from 1842 to 1868. The London & County Joint Stock Banking Company reported in December 1842 that at the close of that half-year three new branches had been successfully opened, one of which was at Oxford, “where the respectable Bank of Davenport Walker & Co. has merged with the London & County Bank”.

Slatter & Rose

At the time of the 1851 census the manager of the bank, Captain Henry Strong, lived upstairs with his wife, his daughters Henrietta (20), Emily Frances (10), Marion (8), Ethel (5), and three general servants. Emily Frances Strong became a writer on art, and ten years later she married Mark Pattison, the Rector of Lincoln College, who was 27 years her senior. (It has been suggested that their relationship inspired that of Casaubon and Dorothea in George Eliot’s Middlemarch.)

The upstairs premises were unoccupied in 1861

The bank (later the National Westminster) moved to its present large premises on the corner of Alfred Street in 1868. The upstairs premises were still unoccupied in 1871, and were probably offices.

The booksellers Slatter & Rose moved into this shop in 1901 (when they had to move from Nos. 2 and 3 because of the building of Lloyds Bank), and remained until 1956. The extract from an F. Frith & Co postcard on the left shows their shop in 1907.

The guest rooms of the Mitre Hotel next door extended over this shop, so there was no listing for it in the 1911 census.

Occupiers of 16 High Street since 1842

1842–1867

London & County Bank

1869

H. Adamson, Draper

1871

G. M. Webb

1875–1887

Mappin & Webb, Cutlers and electro-platers

1889–1900

Frank Edward Webb, Jeweller, silversmith and cutler, Agent for Mappin & Webb, Gun maker and optician

1901–1956

Slatter & Rose Ltd., Booksellers

1958–1967

Wymans, Newsagents

1968–1973

John Menzies, Newsagents

1975

Planning permission 75/00082/LA_H granted to turn this shop into two

 

Left of No. 16

Right of No. 16

1976–1987+

Athena Reproductions

Brook Street Bureau

By 1993–1998

Tecno shop

2000–2007

Jessops Photography

2007–2017

Pia

2017–present

Vacant

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 2 October, 2018

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home