Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

19: Taylor’s Delicatessen & Sandwich Bar


19 High Street

 

The group of five shops numbered 19–23 High Street dates from the late eighteenth century. The upstairs rooms were converted to accommodation for Brasenose College in about 1930.

No. 19 is on the far left of the group and is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1369358).

At the time of the 1851 census, Henry Hands, the jeweller & watchmaker at these premises, lived over the shop with his wife and baby son, and two servants.

The premises were described as “shop only” in 1861, and no one was living there in 1871 either.

In 1881, Mary, Sarah, and Laura French, three spinsters born in Iffley, lived upstairs and worked here as milliners and dressmakers.

Occupiers of 19 High Street

1839, 1846

Joseph Steele & Co., Silversmith

1851

Henry Hands, Jeweller & Watchmaker

1852

Henry Carter, Silversmith & Jeweller, Watch & Clockmaker

1861–1869

George W. Webb, Gun maker

1871

R. R. Rowell, Watchmaker & jeweller [jointly at No. 20]

1872–1917

Misses French [Miss L. E. French from 1890], Milliners, dressmakers, & fancy repository

Upstairs from 1898: Mid-Oxon Conservative Registration Office

1918–1943

Pullars of Perth Dye Works Ltd, Dyers & cleaners

1945–1966

Eastman Ltd, Dyers & cleaners

1967–1975

Bollom Ltd, Dyer’s & cleaners

1976–1980

Mabs Boutique

c.1989–1991

STA Travel

1991–1995

?

1995–2010

Harvey’s Express (renamed Sprint in 2003), Sandwich takeaway

2010

Taylor’s Delicatessen & Sandwich Bar

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home