Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

35–36: The Oxford Gallery


35-36 High Street

This timber-framed four-storey building dates from before 1600, but was refronted in the eighteenth century. The bay windows upstairs are sixteenth century. It formed two separate narrow houses until c.1870. It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1047279).

In 1696 Thoms Brickland paid tax on four windows at this building.

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. According to Salter, Nos. 35 & 36 were then in the occupation of a Mr Day, and their frontage measured 7 yards 1 feet 2 inches.

No. 35

At the time of the 1851 census No. 35 (the house on the left) was occupied by Sarah Hill, a widow of 56, whose occupation was given as “painter”. Three unmarried daughters lived with her (Sarah, Lucy, and Catherine) and her son Henry J. Hill, who was also her apprentice. It was unoccupied in 1861. In 1871 Miss Sarah Hill (55) lived here with three nephews and a niece: Charles (27) was a decorator, while Frederick (24) was an artist.

No. 36. In 1851 No. 36 (the house on the right) was occupied by Miss Lydia Green, aged 65, and her servant, and she was still there in 1861 and 1871. She died here at the age of 89 in 1873.

By the time of the 1881 census, this pair of narrow houses was combined into a single business premises downstairs, with George Hill, a painter and decorator, as the proprietor. Over No. 35 lived Charles George Hill, a 37-year-old decorative artist, with his wife, four children, and a general servant; and above No. 36 lived Sarah Hill, a spinster of 67, with her nephew.

Occupiers of 35 & 36 High Street

Date

35 High Street

36 High Street

1839–1867

Sarah Hill, Painter &c. (to 1865)
George Hill, Painter, glazier, & decorator (from 1866)

The Misses Greene (1846),
later Miss Greene

1871–1893

George Benjamin Hill, Painter, glazier & decorator

1894–1917

Peattie & Axtell, Sanitary plumbers, decorators &c.
John Peattie (later Peattie & Sons), Sanitary plumber, decorator &c. (from 1895)

1918–1920 

Edwin Stewart Craig MA, Lecturer at University College and Assistant Registrar

1921–1936

Charles Henry Thompson MA
Fellow & tutor of Queen’s College & lecturer in mathematics, University College

1939–1943

Harold Foot, Antique dealer

1945–1976

C. John, Antique dealer

1976–2005

Laurie Leigh, Antiques/Restorers of keyboard instruments
See Oxford Mail of 22 June 2005

2005–2012

Northlight

2012–2013

Raffles (with a short period in the summer of 2012 when it was called Lexington)

2013–

The Oxford Gallery

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home