Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

49: Honey’s Newsagent


49 High Street

No. 49 is on the left of a long, mock-Tudor range (shown below) rebuilt by Magdalen College in 1901.

The group at 49–52 High Street is jointly Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047282).

It is built of brick covered with rough-cast, and has Brize Norton stone roof tiles. The architect was E. P. Warren and the builder Messrs Benfield & Loxley.

There is an archway in the middle leading to the Magdalen College buildings behind.

As four large shops fronts replaced six smaller old ones, the numbers 53 and 54 High Street disappeared for ever in the process.

The original, narrower No. 49 was occupied by the upholsterer Theophilus Carter and his family in 1861 and 1871.

Coach and Horses pub

This was situated behind No. 49 at 49A, and the entrance to its court was between the former Nos. 49 and 50. Jane Teall, then a widow of 58, who had moved out of the Greyhound pub when that was demolished, was the landlady here in 1851, probably helped by her three daughters.

William Thornton was the victualler here in 1871, and lived at the pub with his wife Ellen and their three children.

The Coach & Horses was demolished with the rest of this row in 1899.

49-52 High Street

Occupiers of the site of 49 High Street
Darker background = former buildings on this site, now demolished

In 1901 this range of building were rebuilt, so that six shops became just four, and it is not possible to correlate the premises in the nineteenth century with those in the twentieth. It is assumed that the present No. 49 occupies the site of the old 49, plus part of No. 50.

Date

Former 49 High Street

Former 49A High Street (behind)

Former 50 High Street

By 1839–1852

Thomas Shield
Confectioner
“Dinners & breakfasts prepared”
(1852)

Coach and Horses
Jane Teall

Hawtin Pearson
Watch & clockmaker

1861–1894

Theophilus Carter
Upholsterer & cabinet maker
(see also No. 48)

Coach and Horses
Ellen Thornton

John Glover
Tobacconist
(1866)

Mrs Wilson
Stay & corset maker
(from 1867)

William J. H. Robinson
Hairdresser & perfumer
(from 1875)

R. Terry,
Practical watchmaker & jeweller
(1887)

H. J. Peagam, Hairdresser
(from 1889)

Frank Wright Jeffs
Hairdresser
(from 1893)

1896–1901

John Goddard
Antique furniture depot

Weeks & Co.
East-gate Restaurant
Confectioners & bakers
(from 1899)

Coach and Horses P.H.
James Bennett

Frank Wright Jeffs
Hairdresser

Present 49 High Street

1904–1949

George Cooke & Co., p Cigar merchants

1951–1956

Lennon Bros Ltd, Tobacconists

1958–1971

Lombard Banking Ltd

1973–1975

R. F. Hicks. Newsagent

1976

A. & A. Hattersley, Newsagents

By 1980–present

Honey’s Newsagent: See Oxford Mail of 23 July 2007

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home