Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

52: Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe


52 High Street

No. 52 is on the right of a long, mock-Tudor range (see picture below) rebuilt by Magdalen College in 1901.

The group at 49–52 High Street is jointly Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047282).

It is built of brick covered with rough-cast, and has Brize Norton stone roof tiles. The architect was E. P. Warren and the builder Messrs Benfield & Loxley.

There is an archway in the middle leading to the Magdalen College buildings behind.

As four large shops fronts replaced six smaller old ones, the numbers 53 and 54 High Street disappeared for ever in the process.

49-52 High Street

When the old row of buildings was demolished in 1901, Hine & Son the tailors moved a short distance from the former No. 51 High Street into this shop, where they remained for nearly a hundred years until they moved to Wantage in October 1998. Waterfield’s from Park End Street then moved in.

Occupiers of the site of the present 52 High Street
Darker background = former buildings on this site, now demolished

In 1901 this range of buildings was rebuilt, with six shops becoming just four, so it is not possible to correlate the premises in the nineteenth century with those in the twentieth. It is assumed here that the present No. 52 occupies part of the site of the old No. 53, plus No. 54

Date

Part of former 53 High Street

Former 54 High Street

1866–1880

John Durran
Ironmonger, smith,& bell-hanger

Joseph Hodder
Beer retailer
then William Corpp
Wine merchant,
then
George Costar
Beer & wine retailer (Fleur-de Lys)

1882–1899

Thomas Fenemore, Ironmonger

Charles Fitzpatrick
Lodging house (from 1884)

Present 52 High Street

1902–1998

William P. Hine, Tailor

University lodging house upstairs

1998–2009

Waterfield’s Secondhand Books (Oxford Mail article)

2010

Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home