Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

55: Podarok


55 High Street

Nos 55 and 56 are two fairly modern brick houses. They were built by New College to replace three houses it had bought in 1863.

No. 55 is on the left-hand side, and occupies the site of the former No. 55.

At the time of the 1851 census, Charles Laker, a widowed grocer of 29, lived over the shop with his one-year-old daughter, a grocer’s assistant, a housekeeper, and a servant. A second family headed by a college servant also lived over No. 55. By the next year he had moved to No. 69 on the other side of the road.

In 1861 and 1871 Frederick Timms, a greengrocer who had his shop here, lived over the premises with his family. In 1881 he was living in retirement here.

Occupiers of 55 High Street
Darker background = former building on this site, now demolished

1846

Richard Jones, Chemist & druggist

Until 1851

Charles Laker, Grocer

By 1861–1880

Frederick Timms, Fruiterer & general shop (later General dealer)

1882–1883

J. Corbett, General dealer

1887–1897

University lodgings

1898–1904

George Ernest Weeks, Confectioner

1905–1907

Miss Eva Gale (1905) then Miss E. Shipperlee (1906–7), Fruiterer

1908–1915

Food Reform Supply Stores (1908)

George Gardiner (restaurant) (1910–11 only)
George Gardiner (architect & surveyor) (from 1911)

1915–1931

Wootten’s Motor Cycle Garage (also at No. 56 from 1919–1925)
renamed Wootten’s Motor Showrooms (from 1923)

Upstairs to 1921: George Gardiner (architect & surveyor)

1934–1941

George Leslie’s Studio Ltd (incorporating Gillman & Hills & Saunders)
Photographers and Hills & Saunders, Fine art dealers (1934)

John Howes, cycle dealer, with
Mrs G. Davies, Café (1939)

Howes Cycles Ltd (1941)

1947–1967

C. Wright, Furrier

1970–1980+

Oxford Coin Centre, Coin dealers

By 1990–1995+

Joe Austin’s florist

By 1998–2003

Goggles, Eyeware consultants

2004–2014

Sassi Shoes

2014–

Podarok

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 2 October, 2014

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home