Oxford History: The High


56: Vacant

56 High Street

Nos 55 and 56 are two fairly modern brick houses. They were built by New College to replace three houses it bought in 1863.

No. 56 is on the right-hand side, and occupies the site of two small houses (part of the Eastgate).

At the time of the 1851 census Ebenezer Tarry was living above the shop with two of his four draper’s assistants and a house servant. The living premises were unoccupied in 1861.

In 1863 the Hungarian photographer Jules N. Guggenheim advertised that he had moved from the Cowley Road to more commodious premises at 56 High Street. At the time of the 1871 census he was living here over his studio with his wife and children. They were still here in 1881, with a total of eight children.

In the twentieth century the shop became a photographers’ shop again, occupied by Gillman & Soame, a business that still survives.

Occupiers of 56 High Street
Darker background = former building on this site, now demolished


Robert James, Confectioner, and
George & John Sargent, Linen drapers

1846, 1852

Ebenezer Joseph Tarry, Draper & mercer


J. Guggenheim, Photographer and dealer in old china, prints, &c.


F. Flight, Pastry cook, confectioner, bread & biscuit maker


James Soame junior, Photographic artist, printseller, & picture-frame maker

Wheelers (later Eastgate Coal Exchange), Coal merchants

N. S. Herbert, Pastry cook & confectioner (1889 only)


(Some confusing renumbering
during this period only)

Eastgate Coal Exchange (John Wheeler) (to 1896)

Miss A. E. Stew, Draper

at 56a: Jonathan Hind, Monumental mason

Henry Bacon, Tobacconist & billiard rooms
[Billiard rooms become university lodgings from 1895]


George Cooke, Tobacconist (1899–1903)

Hadley Vicary Storey, Bookseller (1905)

Frank Smith, Stationer (1906–7)

Miss E. Smith, Stationer (1909–11)

Valentine Clutten, Stationer (1911–15)

William Hunt, The Pioneer Typewriter Dealer (1915–17)


Wootten’s Motor Cycle Garage(Motor Showrooms from 1925)
(also at No. 55)


F. E. Wootten, Wireless manufacturers


Lomman & Co., Tailors


Gillman & Soame Ltd (incorporating Hills & Saunders), Photographers


County Bookshop


Indian Emporium, Gift shop

By 1998–2000

Auguri Fashion


Neal’s Yard Remedies [moved to Westgate Centre]



©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 25 November, 2017

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home