Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

57: Brothers Hair Sculpting Team


57 High Street

No. 57 stands on the site of the former Trinity Chapel. It is sandwiched between a modern brick-built block to the west and a fine late Georgian house to the east. It used to be separated from its neighbour to the west by Eastgate Court.

The house was owned by Thomas Wilkins immediately prior to 1839, and the following advertisement that appeared in Jackson's Oxford Journal on 16 March that year gives a good description of the interior:

VALUABLE FREEHOLD HOUSE,
NO. 57, HIGH-STREET, OXFORD.

TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY W. FISHER

On Monday the First of April, 1839, at Seven in the evening, at the Mitre Inn, Oxford, by order of the Trustees under the Will of the late Mr. Thomas Wilkins,– A very valuable FREEHOLD DWELLING HOUSE and extensive Office; containing in the basement a kitchen, capacious coal, wine and beer cellars; on the ground floor, two parlours, kitchen (fitted with superior cooking apparatus), a brew-house, convenient closets, pantries, &c.; on each of the one and two-pair of stairs floors are an excellent front sitting room, three bed rooms, and a water closet: three pair of stairs, 1 large bed room and a water closet.

The premises have within a few years been very substantially erected by the late proprietor, are now in most complete repair, and offer a good opportunity for an investment of capital. The exterior of the house is highly respectable, and the interior handsomely fitted up with marble chimney pieces, plaster cornices, &c. and in every way suited for immediate occupation as a private residence. The whole of the rooms are so disposed that they may be let into lodgings, replete with ever comfort, and would thus produce a large annual income.

In about 1861 this building and a brick-built Victorian building to the rear were taken over as additional boarding accommodation for Magdalen College School (which already had the Georgian house next door: see No. 58). When the school moved to new premises on the other side of the High near Cowley Place in 1894, Albert Brazier took over both the front and rear buildings at No. 57 for his furnishing business, which survived until 1936.

The building continued to be known as “Braziers” even after the ownership changed; and in 1980s the Brazier family took the shop over again. When they finally left in 1997, the two upper floors of the rear building were adopted by Magdalen College for student accommodation, with access through the Longwall Street entrance.

Occupiers of 57 High Street

1846

Harry Wright

1851

Julia Maitland

1861–1894

Magdalen College School boarding house

1895–1936

Albert William Brazier, House furnisher

1937–1954

W. N. Huggins, House furnisher

1956–1980+

Braziers (Anthony Bloom):
House furnishers & interior decorators (1956–1967)
Antique dealers (1968–1974)
Swan Galleries (picture dealers) (1974–1980+)

c.1978–1997

Braziers of Oxford (Christopher Brazier):
Interior designers, antique restorers, oriental carpet gallery, and antiquarian books

 

1997–1998 

Tiger Lily Pad, Gift shop

2000–present

Brothers Hair Sculpting Team

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 12 March, 2014

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home