Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

58: Harvey’s Sandwich Takeaway


58 High Street

No. 58 together with No. 59 (the western section of the Oxford Travel Agency) are the two halves of a fine Georgian house, which is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047283).

The whole building was formerly numbered just 58, and was the boarding house of Magdalen College School from about the middle of the century until it moved across the road into new premises just to the east of Magdalen Bridge in 1894.

Soon after this move had taken place, in 1898, the former No. 58 was divided into Nos. 58 and 59, with the former shop at the corner, No. 59 being allocated the number 60. (Until this date, No. 60 had been the first number on the opposite side of the High Street.)

In his book Old Magdalen Days (1913) Lewis Tuckwell, the Precentor of Magdalen College choir, wrote,

“Hitherto Choristers whose homes were not in Oxford were lodged in small houses in Long Wall Street. This was not in any way a happy arrangment, and in 1849, at the suggestion of Mr Millard [the Revd James E. Millard, the new Master of Magdalen College School], a large house in the lower part of High Street, now known as No. 58, was bought by the College of a Mr Dickson, and there the Choristers were placed under the care of the new Master.”

Thus the 1851 census shows James Millard living at No. 58 (now 58/59) with 23 boarders aged from 8 to 16, plus the school matron, the school cook, and two housemaids. He was still there in 1861 with 48 boarders and six sesrvants.

Richard Hill was the next Master, and in 1871 his wife was here with their six children and 24 boarders.

Similarly in 1881 the then Master, the Revd Harmer C. Ogle, lived here with his two spinster sisters Helen and Camilla, and 33 boarders aged from 12 to 18, plus the school matron, cook, and six domestic servants.

Kelly’s Directory for 1891 explains how on the west side of Longwall Street there is:

“the scholars’ entrance to the head master’s boarding house, together with a private chapel for the use of the boarders. The private residence of the head master faces the High street, and is distinguished by the arms of the college placed over the entrance.”

Occupiers of 58 (& 59) High Street

Date

Present 58 High Street

Present 59 High Street

1846

Henry Dixon, Civil engineer

By 1852–1861+

Revd James E. Millard, Master of Magdalen College School

1866–1876

Revd. Richard Hill, DCL, Master of Magdalen College School

1880–1887

Revd Harman Challoner Ogle, MA, Master of Magdalen College School

1889–1894

Revd W. E. Sherwood, MA, Headmaster of Magdalen College School

1895–1896

A. W. Brazier, House valuer & furnisher

1898–1909

James Chamberlain
Lodging house 

Mrs Quarterman
Lodging house

1910–1916

James Chamberlain
Lodging house 

Henry George Chamberlain
University Lodging house 

1919–1931

Mrs Selby-Smith, Private Hotel

1939–1954

Victor Afia, Antique textiles, oriental rugs
(to 1954)

Halford Cycles (also No. 60) to 1949

1956–1968

Ronald Carpenter Ltd, Antique dealers

Speedwell Cleaning Co.

1956–1976+

Part of Oxford Travel Centre
(expanded into this shop from No. 60 in 1968)

1986–c.1995

Parmenter’s Delicatessen

c.1995–2006

Harvey’s on the High
Sandwich takeaway

2006–present

Part of “Oxford” + The Letting Shop

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home