Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

Magdalen Bridge


Magdalen Bridge

There was a wooden bridge crossing the River Cherwell at this point as early as 1004. By the sixteenth century this had been replaced by a stone bridge c.500 feet long with about twenty arches.

The old stone bridge was condemned as dangerous, and was replaced by the present one, designed by John Gwynn and built by William Townsend, under the Oxford Improvement Act of 1771.

Crowds on Magdalen Bridge May morning on Magdalen Bridge, early 1900s


Inscriptions on Magdalen Bridge

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 16 September, 2012

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home