Queen’s Lane, with part of The Queen’s College to the left and Queen’s Lane Coffee House on the right
This photograph looks northwards towards the the square tower of the former Church of St Peter-in-the-East (now the library of St Edmund Hall). At this point it swings left past the south side of New College, and after another sharp turn becomes New College Lane. A barrier prevents this road being used as a through-route.
This part of the road was known as St Edmund Hall Lane in the eighteenth century and became Torald Street when it turned left. It became known as Queen’s Lane by 1772.