Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

62–64: Magdalen College houses


62-64 High Street

62-64 in Edwardian times

Above right: the group of house 62–64 High Street in Edwardian times.

This whole terrace belongs to Magdalen College, and was rebuilt in the eighteenth century. All three houses are Grade II listed buildings (List Entry Nos. 1320418, 1047288, and 1369364.

No. 62 (the large white house on the left) is attached to the back of Magdalen Gate House. It now provides provide accommodation for Magdalen College, along with No.  63 and the ground floor of No. 64.

At the time of the Survey of Oxford in 1772, before the widening of Magdalen Bridge and the rebuilding of this area, the houses/shops on this site were occupied as follows: Mrs Welman (62), Mr Grubb (63), and Mrs Eastland and Mr Smith (64).


62

No. 62:

At the time of the 1851 census this was occupied by Archibald Impey, a student of 25 at New Inn Hall, and his wife and his mother, plus two servants.

In 1861, it was occupied by Charles Fisher, the Manciple of Exeter College, and his family and servants; he was still there in 1871.

In 1881 census, Lydia Larden, a widowed “gentlewoman”, lived here with her spinster daughter and a domestic servant.


63

No. 63:

At the time of the 1851 census this was occupied by two dentists, Norman Spencer and his brother Edwin, plus a servant, and two lodgers, an MA of Pembroke College and his wife.

In 1861 and 1871 another dentist, Henry Virgin, was here with his family and servants.

In 1881 R. Horsley, a musician, lived here with his wife, three young children, sister-in-law, and a domestic servant.


64

No. 64: At the time of the 1851 census this was occupied by Thomas Henry Whorwood, the former Lord of the Manor of Headington, “the last and landless descendant of an ancient line”, now Fellow of Magdalen College, Vicar of Willoughby, and Curate of Marston. He lived with his 70-year-old mother and four servants. The Revd William Tuckwell describes in his Reminiscences of Oxford how the old lady’s ancestral hatchment was suspended outside this house when she died.

In 1861 it was occupied by George Johnson, the Dean of Wells. Later in the 1860s, Professor Max Müller lived here.

In 1871 the organist John Stainer lived here with his family.

In the 1881 census Henry Matthews Tuckwell, a doctor, was here with his wife and nephew, plus a cook and three housemaids; in 1901 he was still living here in retirement, with three servants.

Below: No. 64 from the back garden

Garden of No. 64

People who have occupied 62, 63, & 64 High Street

Date

62 High Street

63 High Street

64 High Street

1839

William Tuckwell
Surgeon

1840s

Mrs Catherine Hudson (1846)

Thomas Laing (1846)

The Daguerrotype Institution
(advertisement in Jackson's Oxford Journal on 30 March 1844)

1852

Archibald Impey, Esq

Norman Spencer
Surgeon dentist

Revd T. H. Whorwood, DD
Fellow of Magdalen

1866–1876

Charles Fisher

H. J. Virgin
Surgeon dentist

1866–7:  Professor Max Müller
1871: John Stainer, DM
1872–6:  Henry M. Tuckwell, MD

1875–1891

1880–83: Mrs Lardener
1884: Mrs Webber
1885–90: William Collier,  MD, Physician

Richard Horsley
Teacher of singing &
University Lodgings

Henry M. Tuckwell, MD

1892–1905

Frederick W. Hill DMD
Harvard University Dentist

Richard Horsley

Henry Matthews Tuckwell, MA, MD

1906–1921

Frederick W. Hill DMD
Harvard University Dentist

University
lodging house

Henry Matthews Tuckwell, MA, MD
(Mrs Tuckwell from 1907)

Revd Maurice Fitzgerald, Chaplain, Wadham College (1919–1921)

1923–1925+

Arthur George Grant Plumley, MB, MRVS, LRCP, LDS,
Dental surgeon

Bernard Ashmole, MA

1947

62A: Erik Robertson Dodds, MA,
Student of Christ Church &
Regius Professor of Greek

62B: David Worswick

1975

62B: Hugh F. Denham

63A: Jonathan Barnes
63C: Christopher J. Wells
63D: Colin G. Hardie, MA
63E: Emrys L. Jones, MA
63F: Edward P. Greene

-

1977–1984

Magdalen College lodgings

1984–today

Magdalen College lodgings

Flat for visiting academics from Stanford University

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home