Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

65–66: Stanford House


65-66 High Street

This whole terrace dates from the eighteenth century. Every house is a Grade II listed building (No. 65 is listed separately (List Entry No. 1115465), and No. 66 Is jointly listed with Nos. 67 & 68 (List Entry No. 1047289).

Since 1984, Stanford University in California has leased 65 and 66 High Street from Magdalen College to accommodate about fifty of their students who are able to pursue part of their course in Oxford.

It also extends considerably in both directions on the upper floor of other Magdalen houses. To the east, it occupies the upper floor of Nos. 62–64; and to the west it spreads over four large shops (the Oxford Café, Pens Plus, Oxford Holographics, and Hoyle’s Games & Puzzles) at 65–70 High Street, only stopping when it reaches the Eastgate Hotel.

The main entrance of Stanford House is the red door at No. 65.

62-66 High Street

At the time of the Survey of Oxford in 1772, before the widening of Magdalen Bridge and the rebuilding of this area, the houses/shops on this site were occupied as follows: Mrs Anderson (65) and Mr Kensal (66).

No. 65

In 1851 No. 65 was occupied by John Hill, who was both Vice-Principal & Tutor of St Edmund Hall as well as the Perpetual Curate of Hampton Gay. A widower of 64, he lived with his unmarried daughter, a cook, and a housemaid.

In 1861 it was occupied by Elizabeth Pilcher, a fundholder of 78, and her cook.

By 1863 it was occupied by the Revd Henry Joseph Turrill and his wife and three sons. He opened Turrell’s Hall here near the beginning of 1881, but around the end of that year it moved into larger premises at “The Willows”, on the site of the present Magdalen College School 1894 building facing Cherwell Place. On 5 November 1881 the following preliminary notice appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal advertising an auction to be held at the Mitre Hotel on 29 November:

The valuable FREEHOLD DWELLING HOUSE, No. 65, High-street, Oxford, lately known as "Turrell’s Hall," containing three large reception rooms, eight good bed rooms, and usual domestic offices, with a large Garden at the back 60 feet wide: the House has a frontage of 20 feet to High-street, and the Ground extends to a depth of 180 feet.

By 1884 65 High Street was used for university lodgings, run by a Mrs Reeves.

No. 66

In 1851 (conflicting with the directories) the census shows James P. Shepperd, Clerk of Magdalen College, living at No. 66 with his son William (a cook) and daughter, and a housekeeper. In 1861 the occupant was Mrs Arabella Castle (probably the widow of the former Manciple of Magdalen); and in 1871 the bank clerk William Harris lived here with his family.

In 1881, No. 66 was occupied by a 33-year-old male cook called Hill with his wife and daughter.


Advertisement to let

Nos. 65 and 66 have been lodging-houses since 1884.

The advertisement on the left, which dates from the 1950s, shows how university lodgings became guest houses in the vacation

People who have occupied 65 & 66 High Street

Date

65 High Street

 66 High Street 

1846

Revd John Hill, BD

William Cattle [sic, probably should be Castle],
Manciple of Magdalen College

1852

?

1861

Mrs Pilcher

Mrs Castle

1866–1867

Revd. H. J. Turrill, B.D.

Miss Castle

1869–1872

W. Haines

1875–1876

Miss Castle

1880

R. Hill

1884

Mrs Reeves
University Lodgings

1887–1890

Charles Sanders
University lodgings

1891

Henry Carr
University Lodgings

1893

Joseph Shillingford
University Lodgings

1894–1904

Mrs Caroline Bennett
University Lodgings

1905

George James Cooper
Lodging House

1907–1913

Miss Davis
University Lodging House

plus
Herbert Bennett masseur 1912–1915
Lionel Palliser Costobadie,
physician
in 1923

1914–1923

Mrs Bowler
University Lodging House

1924–1932

Charles Palfrey
University Lodging House

1934–1937

Mrs H. D. Moseley, SRN
University Lodging House

William Soper
University Lodging House

1939–1940

Miss E. E. Mordaunt
University Lodging House

1941–1945

Francis Thomas Jones
Solicitor

1947–1949

William Soper

1952–1964

George Wright
Guest House

1966–1969

Central Guest House

1970–1976+

(no listing)

1984–present

Part of Stanford House

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home