Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

67–68: High Street Café


Nos. 67-68 in 2011

The shop at No. 67–68 awkwardly straddles two buildings: on the left, it cuts into the last, maroon-coloured house of a Georgian terrace; on the right it occupies a tall black-and-white building. This unlikely looking pair was already a single shop by 1846.

Nos. 66 to 68 are jointly Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047289).

At the time of the Survey of Oxford in 1772, before the widening of Magdalen Bridge and the rebuilding of this area, the houses/shops on this site were occupied as follows: Mrs Howel (67) and Mr Barnet (68).

The 1851 census shows John Hounslow, grocer and wine merchant, living over his shop at No. 67 with his wife and daughter, plus an apprentice and servant. Living over No. 68 was a shoemaker called Samuel Hounslow (probably his brother) together with his wife and four children. Hounslow was described as “the Radical grocer in High Street” by William Tuckwell in his Reminiscences of Oxford, and is recorded as giving this advice on sermons in Oxford: “’Obhouse and ’Ansell are below par; go to ’Olywell and ’ear Goulburn.”

In 1859 James Jenkin, a schoolmaster, married Hounslow’s daughter Caroline. The 1861 census shows that John Hounslow (66) was still the grocer & wine merchant here, living over the shop with his wife; but by 1867 his son-in-law James Jenkin had become the grocer and wine merchant here, and was living here with his wife and their first four children in 1871. At the time of the 1881 census James Jenkin lived over No. 68 together with his wife, five children, his half-brother (described as a grocer’s assistant), and a general servant. He was elected Mayor of Oxford later that year.

When Jenkin died in 1898 his only son, Herbert Jenkin, took over from him, and he remained in business until 1923. Directories indicate that he did not change the shop to his name from James to Herbert Jenkin until 1914. The postcard below probably dates from the early 1900s.

J. Jenkin, grocer

The shop continued to be occupied by a wine merchant’s business until 1962. The photograph below comes from a promotional booklet of photographs produced by W. H. Ryder & Son (Reading) Ltd, Architectural Woodmasters. As well as much work for churches, banks, and breweries they did shopfitting, and included in their list of clients Courage, which had taken over H. & G. Simonds. Their shopfront remains in place today, with the door on the right that led upstairs changed to a third narrow but matching window.

Arthur Cooper Photograph kindly supplied by Anthony Guy

This shop was Narda Artwear until 2007. The large warehouse behind No. 68 has been converted into the Stanford House Library.

Narda Artwear

66 & 67 from the back
Nos. 66 and 67 from the back in 2015

Occupiers of 67 & 68 High Street

Date

67 High Street

68 High Street

1839

John Hounslow
Grocer and Wine & spirit merchant

Richard Brown
Gunmaker

1846–1853+

J. Hounslow
Grocer and wine & spirit merchant
(also Richard Brown, Gunmaker in 1846)

1867–1913

James Jenkin
Grocer & wine merchant

Over No. 67: E. W. Glanville, Coal merchant (1875),
Central News Telegraphic Agency (1889–1899)

1914–1923

Herbert Jenkin
Grocer & wine merchant

1924–1954

H. & G. Simonds Ltd, Brewers

1956–1962

Arthur Cooper, Wine merchant

Upstairs: H. & G. Simonds Ltd, Brewers

1964–1969

Hugh Hall Business Equipment Centres Ltd (to 1970)

1970–1980

Caron Records (1972–1975)

Upstairs: Athena Reproductions

1984

Since 1984 the upstairs of these shops has been part of Stanford House

By 1996–2007

Narda Fashion Studios

2008–2010

Vacant

2010

Café Crème

2011–2013

Oxford Rendezvous (with part of Stanford House upstairs from this date)

2014–2015

Vacant

2015

High Street Café

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home