Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

71: Hoyle’s Games & Puzzles


71 High Street

No. 71 is the left half of the large green building shown in this picture. It was built in the late eighteenth century, and is jointly Grade II listed with No. 72 next door (List Entry No. 1047290).

On 20 January 1844 the draper H. Hatch announced in Jackson’s Oxford Journal that he was moving from these premises to 28 Cornmarket Street.

At the time of the 1851 census Richard Jones, the chemist here, lived over his shop with his wife and four children, plus an assistant, an apprentice, a servant, and a lodger. By 1861 he had died and his son Richard Jones junior (26) had taken over the shop and was the head of the household upstairs: his mother, two sisters, an apprentice, and a servant lived with him. He was still here in 1871, with his wife, an apprentice, and two servants.

In 1881 the chemist Henry Varney lived over his shop with his 11-year-old niece and two servants.

Occupiers of 71 High Street since 1844

To January 1844

H. Hatch, Draper

1849

William Plowman, Ironmonger, Smith, Brazier, Oil Merchant

By 1851–1853+

Richard T. Jones, Chemist & druggist

1861

Jones & Turner, Chemists & druggists

1867

Miss James, Confectioner

1869–1876

R. F. Jones, Chemist

1880–1902

Henry George Varney, Chemist & druggist

1902–1910

John William Todd, Pharmaceutical chemist

Upstairs: Arthur E. ChaundyDentist (1902–9)

1911–1917

Stanley Clegg, Dispensing chemist & optician

1921–1932

Madame Josephine, Costumier

1934–1935

Edward Tyler-Jew, Antique dealer

1947–1980+

East Gate Gallery, Antique dealers

By 1993–2012

Oxford Holographics
(Magdalen College undergraduate rooms upstairs)

2012–present

Hoyle's Games & Puzzles [moved from next door]

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home