Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

73: Eastgate Hotel


73 High Street

There has been an inn on this site on the corner of Merton Street, near the medieval East Gate in the city wall, since at least 1605.

The current building, however, is relatively new, dating from 1900. It was designed by E. P. Warren in a seventeenth-century style, and built by Benfield & Loxley.

It was in St Peter-in-the East parish until that parish was united with St Cross parish in 1957.

There is a cartouche on the wall showing what one of the previous inns on this site, demolished in 1772, would have looked like.

For most of the nineteenth century, this inn was known as the Flying Horse.

English Heritage photographs:
Old Eastgate Hotel in 1896View of old hotel from sideNew Eastgate Hotel in 1901

Innkeepers in the censuses
  • 1841: Mrs Mary Smith (née Bunce), who was aged about 60, was the publican here at the Flying Horse, and had 23 boarders.
  • 1851: Matthias Popple, the proprietor, lived in the hotel with his wife and three children, plus a servant. The people lodging here on the night of the census were a tailor, a mason’s labourer, a trunk maker, a miller and his wife, two charwomen (one with her two sons) and two servants (one with her daughter).
  • 1861: Job Durran, described as a publican and cab proprietor, lived here with his wife and son, who was described as a coachman. There were five people lodging here on census night: a clothes cleaner, a porter at University College, an agricultural labourer, a groom & fly driver, and a housemaid (the last two presumably employed by the Flying Horse). He was still here in 1871.
  • 1881: Fred Birmingham, proprietor, was living here with his wife and two daughters (the elder a barmaid) and two sons, and a permanent lodger. Two families were staying here on census night: Charles Adams, a journalist, and Robert Adams, a jeweller, each accompanied by his wife and children.
  • 1891: Henry Beesley (34), licensed victualler, lived here with his wife and four children and a general servant. A barmaid and a waiter boaarded with them.

The Eastgate in the 1920sAbove: The Eastgate in the 1920s

The Eastgate was extended in 1965 by the incorporation of three houses further along Merton Street.

Occupants of 73 High Street
Darker background = former building, now demolished

By 1839–1876

Flying Horse
Mary Smith (1839)
Matthew Popple (1846)
Job Durran, cab proprietor (1861–1876)

1880–1900

Eastgate Hotel
Frederick Birmingham, proprietor (1880–1887)
Henry J. Beechey junior (1889–1912)
Stanley Coombes (1913–1922)
Mrs E. A. Coombes (1923–1934)
Mr & Mrs Nowell Richardson (1935+)

1900–present

Eastgate Hotel

including Marco's New York Italian Restaurant
(formerly the High Table; Café Bohème; theTownhouse; and Merton’s Bar & Brasserie)

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 18 April, 2018

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home