Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

94: Quod Restaurant


94 High Street

No. 94 on the corner of Magpie Lane was rebuilt by Stephen Salter in 1902. Some of the original seventeenth-century house survies, including some ceiling beams and a fireplace.

The new building is an imitation of a sixteenth-century house, which explains the coat of arms of Queen Elizabeth I between the windows on the second floor. It has always been in the parish of St Mary-the-Virgin.

It became part of the Old Bank in c.1990, and hence it is now part of the restauarant of the Old Bank Hotel. It is Grade II* listed: jointly with No. 1 Magpie Lane, and separately from the rest of the bank. (List Entry No. 1369388).

According to Salter, at the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford there were two houses on the site of No. 94: Mr Fowle to the east with a frontage of 8 yards 0 feet 2 inches, and Mr. Fletcher to the west with a frontage of 3 yards 2 feet 0 inches.

An Oriel plan of 1814 shows that the former No. 94 was then occupied by a Mr Sykes.

Occupants of the old shop on this site in the censuses

  • 1851: The Scottish bookseller Thomas Macpherson lived here with one servant
  • 1861 & 1871: The photographer John G. Miller lived here with his family
  • 1881: Henry Druce, a solicitor, lived here with his wife, niece, and one servant now lived over the bookshop below
  • 1901: Thomas Coombes, a college servant, lived over the bootmaker’s shop below.

94 High Street in about 1905

 

The first occupant after No. 94 was rebuilt was the stationer Joseph Vincent.

Hall Brothers, tailors, had moved in by 1909, and the photograph on the left probably dates from about that time.

From 1932 to 1990 it was a university lodging house on all floors.

 

 

 

 

Occupiers of 94 High Street

Grey background = former house on this site

1839

William Andrew Dicks
Cabinet maker

1846–1852+

Francis Macpherson
Bookseller

1866–1883

J. G. Miller
Photographer & antiquarian [1866–1876]

G. Shrimpton
Bookseller & stationer

1884–1902

Flack & Smith
Boot makers

1904–1907

Joseph Vincent, Stationer

1909–1931

Hall Bros, Tailors

1932–c.1990

University Lodging House
Run by Joseph Ernest Ham until 1943,
then by the Misses Ham

c.1990–1998

Barclays Bank PLC (Old Bank)

1999–present

Quod Restaurant

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 9 May, 2018

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home