Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

107: A-Plan Insurance


107 High Street

No. 107 (right) together with No. 106, its neighbour to the east, originally formed Tackley’s Inn, an academic hall built in 1320. The pair of houses, which are owned by Oriel College, were refronted in the eighteenth or nineteenth century and are Grade II* listed (List Entry No. 1047253).

They have a fine medieval vaulted cellar, part of which is incorporated into the present office at No. 107, which also occupies the whole refectory hall.

Tackley’s Inn was built c.1320 by Roger le Mareschal, who had the living of Tackley. Adam de Brome acquired it from him in 1324 as a home for Oriel College, who still own the building. It is one of the very few surviving examples of a medieval academic hall. The building was divided into two as early as 1438, and this side then became known as The Tavern. In 1549 the whole hall and the shops in front were leased to Garbrand Harkes, a Dutch Protestant refugee, who sold books from the ground floor and wine from the vaulted cellar. It remained a bookshop until the end of the seventeenth century, and then became Puffett’s Coffee House.

The 1772 Survey of Oxford shows that No. 107 had a frontage of 9 yards 0 ft 9 in., and was then occupied by a Mr Lewis.

At the time of the 1851 census, Nance[?] Slatter and his son John, partners in the tailoring business at No. 107, lived over the shop with four of John’s siblings and a general servant. Two families are listed between Nos. 106 and 107 as living in “Slatter’s Yard”, which must have been behind this shop.

At the time of the 1861 census No. 107 was occupied by Edward Wells, a “Haberdasher and Register for Servants” and his family.

Boffins, 107 High Street

Later in 1861 the well-known Boffin’s Bakery moved here from two doors away at No. 109. It remained at No. 107 for over forty years until it moved again to Carfax in 1907.

At the time of the 1871 census James Boffin (54), described as a confectioner, was living here with his wife Eliza and their four children, an assistant in their shop, and a cook and a housemaid.

The family was away on census night of 1881, but their staff were in the house: a housekeeper, housemaid, and kitchenmaid, and two confectioners’ assistants. The advertisement on the left was placed in Alden’s Oxford Guide of 1906.

Occupiers of 107 High Street

1839. 1846, 1852

Thomas Slatter, Tailor (1839, 1846)

Henry Swallow Slatter, Silversmith & jeweller
N. Slatter & Co, Tailors & robe makers
Slatter & Swallow, Watch & clock makers
(all 1852)

1861–1906

Boffin’s, Confectioner
(James Boffin 1866–1887, Alfred Boffin 1888–1904)

1907–1913

Norman E. E. Minty, Cook & confectioner

1914–1916

W. Moon & Son, Pastry cooks & confectioners

1916–1917

Bartlett & Carter, Breeches makers & tailors

1918–1947

Joseph E. Bradbury, later Bradbury & Venables, Tailor

107A: Norman Taylor, Photographer (1918–1947)

1949–1962

Mrs B. Woodward (later Thomas Robert Woodward), Café (1949–1954)

Bianca Kirsch, Café (1956)

The Tackley Restaurant (1958–1962)

1970–1976+

Abbey National Building Society

By 1993–present

A-Plan Insurance

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home