Oxford History: The High

Back
Forward

113: Varsity Shop and 114: Space NK Apothecary


113 & 114

This large white building is occupied at No. 113 on the left by the Varsity shop (which is part of Shepherd & Woodward) and at No. 114 on the right by Space NK Apothecary. It was almost entirely rebuilt between 1932 and 1934, but some of the original features, such as two seventeenth-century fireplaces, remain. This building is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047254).

This building marks the start of the parish of All Saints, and was in that parish until that church was deconsecrated in 1971. As the main part of Shepherd & Woodward to the east is in St Mary-the-Virgin parish, it means that the current shop straddles two parishes.

In the mid-seventeenth century, the house on the site of Nos. 113/114 was owned by a draper called John Bowell, and a chemical laboratory was built behind the premises. Anthony Wood wrote:

“About the beginning of 1663 Mr Sthael (the noted chemist) removed his school or elaboratory to a draper’s house called John Bowell, afterwards mayor of the citie of Oxon, situat and being in the parish of Allsaints, commonly called Allhallowes. He built his elaboratory in an old hall or refectory in the backside (for the house itself had been an ancient hostle).”

John Bowell paid Hearth Tax for six hearths at this house, the first in All Saints parish, in 1665, and poll tax records show him there in 1667. He was elected Mayor of Oxford in 1680. His “farthing token” of 1657 is shown below (picture kindly supplied by Peter Bowell) .

   Coin obverse
Coin reverse   

Left: Obverse of coin.
The text in the centre reads “IB 1657”, and
and around the edge is “IOHN BOWELL MERCER”

Right: Reverse of coin.
There is a sugar loaf (John Bowell’s emblem) in the centre,
and “SVGAR LOFE IN OXFORD” around the outside.


Former No. 113

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford, No. 113 was occupied by a Mr Strange.

There has been a tailor's shop on this site since at least 1851.

In 1881 the tailor George Samuel Evens lived here over his shop with his wife and six children, and a general servant. His eldest son aged 15 was an assistant tailor.

In 1911 the widow Harriett Emily Jones (69) lived over this shop with her daughter.

Former No. 114

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford, No. 113 was occupied by a Mr Strange and No. 114 by a Mr Mayow.

At the time of the 1851 census, auctioneer and valuer Charles A. Green lived in the house that used to stand on this site with his wife and daughter and a general servant: he is described as employing six men and one apprentice. An annuitant, Dorothy Elder, and her spinster daughter also lived in the same building.

In 1861 Henry Wood, who was described a teacher of drawing, lived upstairs over this shop with his wife Catherine and their seven children. In 1871 Henry was described as a teacher of dancing, and is thereafter described thus in directories.

In 1911 Eli Buckingham (78), the umbrella maker downstairs, lived in the six rooms above this shop with his wife.


Present shops

No. 113

This reopened at Hookham & Co's tailor's shop in 1932. In about 1954 Shepherd & Woodward, who had been next door since the 1920s, expanded into this shop.

No. 114

This also became a tailor's shop in 1941.

Occupiers of 113 & 114 High Street
 Darker background = former building on this site

 

No. 113

No. 114

1839

Anthony Ortelli
Looking-glass & Barometer maker,
Artificial Flower & Feather
Manufacturer, and Silversmith

Thomas Medwin
Grocer & Tea Dealer

By 1851–1853+

Samuel Evens
Tailor & robe maker (1852)

 

James Evens
Tailor & hosier (1866)

 

George Samuel Evens
Tailor & robe maker (1876–1932)

Charles A. Green
Auctioneer & appraiser

1866–1871

Mrs C. Wood
Fancy repository

Henry Thomas Wood, Professor of dancing

1875–1876

William John Richards,
Wine & spirit merchant

1882–1907

Eli Buckingham
Umbrella & sunshade manufacturer

1908–1918

1919–1931

Edward Richard Greening
Antique furniture dealer

1932–1939

Hookham & Co.
Tailors & outfitters

Thomas Pritchard
Fancy goods dealer (later Ironmonger)

1941–1949

Foster & Co.
Tailors, hosiers & robe makers

1952

Hector Powe Ltd
Tailors

1954–1976+

Part of Shepherd & Woodward
at 119–112 to the east

1984

Part of Shepherd & Woodward

By 1998–2011

Kaliko Ladies’ fashion

2012–2016

Gerry Weber

2016–present

Space NK Apothecary

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 30 June, 2018

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home