Oxford History: The High

Back
Forward

119: Ede & Ravenscroft


119 High Street

No. 119 is a timber-framed building and was rebuilt by Charles Prince in 1703, but the windows on the first floor are Georgian. It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1145854).

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. No. 119 was then in the occupation of a Mrs King, and its frontage measured 4 yds 1 ft 7 in.

Thomas Taylor, printseller, took out a forty-year lease this shop in 1828, the rent being £1: 2s and two capons; and at the time of the 1851 census he was still here, aged 77. He is described as a Magistrate and Distributor of Stamps and lived with his wife and 40-year-old son, also called Thomas, who was a landscape artist and Assistant Stamp Distributor. They had one servant.

In 1861 his son Thomas Taylor was on his own here: he was now descirbed as a stamp distributor, suggesting that he had taken over the business. He was still here in 1871.

The Oxford Chronicle & Berks and Bucks Gazette was printed and published on these premises from 1874 to 1929. It had started life in 1837, when it was known as the Oxford City & County Chronicle: its printing office was at 127 High Street; and its publishing office was at 122 High Street (until it was demolished in 1867) and then at St Aldate’s. But its first purpose-built premises were at this shop: Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 28 October 1874 (p. 7c) reported that a large printing office was then under construction at the rear of No. 119, designed by Mr  Shirley and built by Mr Selby; and soon afterwards the printing and publishing offices were amalgamated here. After 1914 the Oxford Chronicle retreated to the printing office behind, and it was amalgamated with the Oxford Times in 1929.

At the time of the 1881 census the premises were let to Robert Joshua Holiday, a wine merchant and his wife. They had two servants.

Occupiers of 119 High Street

1828–1872

Thomas Taylor, Bookseller (& Stamp Office by 1839)

Thomas Taylor junior, Landscape artist (1839–1853), then Stamp Office

1875–1914

Oxford Chronicle, Publishing Office:
Oxford Chronicle & Berks & Bucks Gazette; Oxford Railway Guide

1914–1931

Frederick G. Mullins, Tailor (and at Nos. 117 and 118)

Premises behind: Oxford Chronicle Co. Ltd, Printers (to 1929)

John Jefferies & Co., Seed merchants (to 1923)

1932–1995

Hall Bros Ltd, tailors

1996–present 

Ede & Ravenscroft Ltd, Tailors

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 3 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home