The Wheatsheaf is behind No. 129 High Street in the Wheatsheaf Yard, and is reached by the narrow passage between Nos. 127 and 129. It used to be a Morrell’s pub, but is now owned by the Whitbread Brewery.
This building is first recorded as an inn in 1662, when it was called the Hen & Chicken. It was not known as the Wheatsheaf until 1761.
The number of this pub varies: in the 1861 census it was given the number 127½, and the publican Mrs Sarah Wright, a widow of 47, lived here with her five children and a general servant.
Wheatsheaf Passage, c.1900. The photograph was owned by William Vernon who had a workshop
in the passage and is reproduced by kind permission of his grandson Mervyn Hughes