Oxford History: The High

Back
Forward

134: Jigsaw


134 High Street

No. 134 was rebuilt in 1790 by Richard Cox.

It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1047262), and its present design won a heritage award for good shop design in a conservation area.

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. No. 134 was then in the occupation of a Mr Strange, and its frontage measured 6 yards 1 foot 4  inches.

Richard Cox, draper, had his business here from 1783, and in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 17 August 1790 there was a notice announcing that Richard Cox & Co would be operating from newly-built premises on the site. Cox moved gradually over into banking, and went into partnership with James & Robert Morrell; but Cox (who had three times been Mayor of Oxford) engaged in corrupt practices and fled bankrupt to Calais in 1833.

This premises remained Morrell’s Bank from 1833 until the 1850s, and at the time of the 1851 census Robert Haines, a banker’s clerk, lived upstairs here with his wife, two children, and a servant.

The owner of the business, John Parsons is listed here in directories in the 1860s. (This is not the John Parsons of the Old Bank, but the former tailor from 123 High Street.) Parsons did not live here (he had a fine house, “The Lawn”, on the Banbury Road), and at the time of the 1861 census the upstairs premises were occupied by Samuel Hester, described as a Commercial Clerk and Wine Merchant and presumably Parsons’s shop manager.

By 1871 the upstairs living quarters were occupied by Christopher Park (formerly of 54 Cornmarket). a wine merchant employing three men, and hs wife and daughter and servant. He was still here in 1881, and a barmaid lived with him and his wife: her presence of a barmaid suggests that the wine shop was already on its way to becoming a pub. By 1889 it was known as the Market Vaults Hotel, and in 1901 Mary Ann Allen who lived upstairs is described as an innkeeper, living with her two barmaid daughters and three barmen (her son-in-law and two servants).

Between 1920 and 1928 the Market Vaults Hotel was run by Alfred Shrubb, a former world-champion runner. Shrubb held a number of world records and championship titles during a remarkable athletics career between 1899 and 1915. For a few years he was regarded as the best distance runner in the world, and many still rate him as one of the top cross-country men of all time. His last active involvement in sport was during his time at the Market Vaults Hotel. As well as running this hotel he was an Oxford city councillor and was also the very first paid coach employed by Oxford University Athletics Club. In 1928 he emigrated to Canada with wife Ada and he died there in 1964.

Information on Alfred Shrubb kindly provided by Rob Hadgraft, who is writing a biography of this former Oxford citizen. Further information welcome; please contact r.hadgraft@ntlworld.com

Occupiers of 134 High Street

1783

Richard Cox, Mercer, later Banker

1811–1833

Cox, Morrell, & Co, Bankers

1833–1846

James & Robert Morrell, Bankers

1851

John Haines, Banker’s clerk

1861

John Parsons, Wine merchant

1866–1887

Christopher Park, Wine & spirit merchant

1889–1935

The Market Vaults Hotel

William R. Rose, photographic apparatus & materials dealer, was also here from 1909 to 1964
(also occupying the whole of No. 133 next door from 1916)

1936–1976+

White’s Restaurant and Cocktail Bar (known as Debrett’s in 1947 only)

By 1993–1998

Automobile Association (with 133 next door)

1999 to present

Jigsaw

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 11 August, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home