Oxford History: The High

Back
Forward

135: Reiss/Café Zouk


135 High Street

No. 135 dates from the early eighteenth century. It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1186742).

In 1679 Elinor Sylvester, who had a house on this site, was “burnt out and built a new”, but it is uncertain whether the core of the present house is that of the 1679 building.

In 1696 Matthew Pinnell paid tax on 16 windows here.

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. No. 135 was then in the occupation of a Mr Munday, and its frontage measured 6 yards 1 foot 11 inches.

The first occupant of the new house on this site in the eighteenth century appears to have been the goldsmith Samuel Wilkins, and later his nephew of the same name.

In 1759 Edward Lock the goldsmith had a shop here which was much frequented by Parson Woodforde. In the 1790s Lock opened a bank in this shop.

At the time of the 1851 census Franklin Thomas, the upholsterer here, lived over the shop with his wife and four children, three servants, and an undergraduate lodger. In 1861 it was occupied by the upholsterer Richard Embling and his wife, together with his apprentice cabinet-maker and a servant. Only the servants were at home at the time of the 1871 census.

The building was bought by the University of Oxford in 1947.

Occupiers of 135 High Street

Date

135 High Street downstairs

135 High Street upstairs

1759–1787

Edward Lock, Goldsmith & Jeweller

1839

William Payne, Cabinet maker

By 1846–1852+

Franklin Thomas, Upholsterer

1861–1883

Richard Embling (later Embling & Co.)

Lodgings (Keen’s 1869, Hippey’s 1873)

1884–1894

S. Baker & Son
Merchant tailors & juvenile outfitters

Lodgings (Mrs Bancalari)

1895–1931

Lomman & Preston
(later Lonman & Co)
Tailors

Lodgings to 1914
(Miss Barefoot, Miss Collier, Miss Annis,
Miss Griffin, Henry Stiles, Frederick Ivatt)

1915–1923:
Refreshment Rooms
(Sidney Slay)

1925 only:
The Swiss Restaurant

1925–1933

Town & Gown Restaurant

1934–1976+

A. Baker & Co. Ltd
Tobacconists (1934–1945)

Finlay & Co.
Tobacconists (1947–1976+)

1995

Oxford Blues
Menswear

Gate of India

 

1998–2002

West World Leather & Casual Wear
(with Carfax Fish & Chips behind)

Shemon’s Indian Cuisine (to 2002)

2002–2007

Café Zouk

2007–present

Reiss
(with Carfax Fish & Chips behind)

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 19 January, 2017

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home