Oxford History: The High

Back
Forward

139–140: University Gifts


139-140 High Street

Nos. 139–140 date from the twentieth century. The building is owned by Oxford City Council.

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford, Mr Field occupied the former building on the site of No. 139 and Mrs Preston that of 140.

The building straddled two parishes until 1896: No. 139 was in the parish of All Saints until that church was deconsecrated in 1971, while No. 140 was in the parish of St Martin's (Carfax) until that church was demolished in 1896 and thereafter in All Saints parish.

The two pubs that formerly stood side by side on this site were:

  • The Red Lion at No. 139 on the left
  • The original Jolly Post Boys at No. 140 on the right.

Morrell’s bought the lease of the Red Lion from Hall’s some time after April 1851 and closed the old Jolly Post Boys, but to confuse matters they transferred the name of the Jolly Post Boys to the former Red Lion next door in around 1852 or just after. The Post Boys, as it was usually known, remained at No. 139 until 1935, when the building was demolished.

No. 139 (The Red Lion)

At the time of the 1851 census, Frances Harrison, a widow of 54, was the landlady of the Red Lion at No. 139, and she lived here with her son, James Margetts, a confectioner, plus a general servant.

James Winfield moved here from the pub next door along with the business soon after the 1851 census, and was listed as the licensed victualler here at the time of the 1861 census. He died shortly afterwards, and his wife Jane took over the pub tenancy. In 1871 she was living here with her two daughters, a barmaid, and a servant, and: in 1881 with one daughter, a granddaughter, and her sister (who was an inn servant), plus one general servant.

In 1911 George Albert Kelly (46) was the licensed victualler at the Red Lion and lived over the premises with his wife and son and their servant.

No. 140 (The Jolly Post Boys)

In 1851 James Winfield was the landlord at the Jolly Post Boys and lived here with his wife Jane and a general servant. After he moved into No. 139, the old pub at No. 140 became a jeweller’s shop, and at the time of the 1861 census it was occupied by Abraham Davis, a jeweller & silversmith, and his wife, and his assistant, who was a watchmaker; he was still there in 1871.

By 1876 it had become a chemist’s shop, and in 1881 the chemist Josiah Jessop lived upstairs, with a dentist lodger. He still lived here in 1911 with his unmarried brother and sister and their servant.

Occupiers of 139 & 140
Darker background = former building now demolished

Date

139 High Street

140 High Street

1839–1852 

Red Lion
John Margetts (1830)
Mrs Fanny Margetts (1839),
who was Mrs Joseph Harrison from 1840
Henry Harrison
(bought by Morrells c.1851)

Jolly Post Boys
Alfred Teddar (1839)
J. Gallaway (1846)
James Winfield (by 1851–1852)
(sold by Morrells c.1852)

c.1853–1935

The (Jolly) Post Boys

Landlords:

James Winfield (c.1852)
Mrs Jane Winfield (by 1861–1889)
C. D. Williams (1889–1890)
William Charles Darbey (1890–1896)
George A. Kelly (1896–1923)
Albert Henry Kelly (1923–1935)

Abraham Davis
Watchmaker & jeweller
(1861–1876)

Josiah Henry Jessop
Homoeopathic pharmacy
(1876–1916)

Thornton, Murray & Thornton
(later Thornton & Thornton)
Chartered accountants
(1916–1925)

Styles & Whitlock
Auctioneers (1927–1934)

1939–1942

Martin's Bank Limited
Upstairs: Mrs M. G. Moule, Café

1942–1958

Oxford Trustee Savings Bank
Upstairs: Mrs M. G. Moule, Café (to 1947)

1964–1967

Oxford Information Centre

1975–1992

Bradford & Bingley Building Society

1993–2007

Oxford City Council Payments Office (later renamed Payments & Parking Shop)

2007–2017

Crew Clothing Co.

2018–

University Gifts

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 13 April, 2018

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home