North side of Holywell Street
South side of Holywell Street
- 42: The Dolphin
- 44: Coach & Horses
- 57: William the Fourth
- 59: Barley Mow
- 68: Boot Inn
- 70: Golden Ball; later renamed the Prince of Wales
- 90: Horse & Jockey
? Horse & Groom: Thomas Hanks, Holywell street (from Pigot’s 1830 directory): possibly No. 64?
The Cock Pit (or Cockpit) was just around the corner in St Cross Road: this was held by Stephen Eaton in 1810. It may have changed its name to the Robin Hood, as there is a pub of that name listed as run by Mary Eaton in Holywell in 1841 and 1853. In the 1841 census, however, Mary Eaton is listed at the Cockpit.
In addition the Turf Tavern was just at the end of Bath Place where it turns into St Helen’s Passage.
Most of these pubs were not much more than beer houses: hence the only people in Holywell parish holding a university wine licence from December 1844 to December 1845 were:
- Brazier, Charles Tyson, wine merchant
- Cox, Eliza, and Frederic Stone, King’s Arms
- Harper, John, wine merchant.