St Cross or Holywell School was also known as Kirby Old School. It was built in 1858 by the architect Charles Buckeridge in Church Lane, before St Cross Road existed. Although designed to accommodate 100 children, by 1899 the average attendance was only 60.
The schoolroom was attached to the cemetery lodge that had been built in 1850. Later this lodge became a teacher’s residence. It remained a school until 1938.
The Oxfordshire History Centre at Cowley has nine log books of Holywell Mixed School dated 1872–1910, and four dated 1910–1938.
Above: Holywell School on the OS map of 1876.
The large building to the south is the vicarage
The building was St Cross College from 1965 to 1981.The site is now an annexe for St Cross and Brasenose Colleges.