HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back

tour End

Holywell Timeline


Date

Event

1086

By this date, the church of St Peter-in-the-East held the Manor of Holywell of Robert d’ Oilly

c.1100

Chapel of St Cross (Holywell) was already in existence when the surviving chancel arch was built

Late 15C

Benseval Street (the eastern extension of Holywell Street) was taken into Magdalen College grove

1607

Thomas Franklin opened an inn with the sign of the King’s Arms on the corner of Parks Road and Holywell Street

1667

It was decided in the King’s Bench that Holywell was part of the city, so the Manor of Holywell ceased to be distinct from Oxford

Poll tax was paid on a total of 431 people in the parish

1688

Wood reports that Lord Lovelace led 200 horsemen with naked swords (all against the king) down past Wadham College and then along Holywell Street and Longwall to enter the city by the east gate.

1742–8

Building of Holywell Music Room started in 1742; opened in 1748

1771

Holywell parish contained 131 houses at time of Survey of Oxford

1801

Population of Holywell parish 731

1831

Population of Holywell parish 944

1848

Holywell Cemetery consecrated

1857

The Oxford Female Penitentiary moved to the Manor House

1861

Population of Holywell parish: 945

1872–7

Phase 1 (west side) of New College development on Holywell by George Gilbert Scott

1884

Phase 2 (east side) of New College development on Holywell by Basil Champneys

1894–8

Nos. 21–23 and Park Place replaced by Mansfield Road, linking Holywell to South Parks Road

1896

Two blocks of New College’s Holywell range united by Champneys’ Robinson Tower over the Holywell entrance

1929

The Oxford Female Penitentiary in the Manor House closed

1933

The Manor House became a hostel for Balliol College students

1975

Traffic gate erected at eastern end of Holywell Street to prevent through traffic

2008

St Cross (Holywell) Church closed down

2011

Balliol Historic Collections Centre opened in the former St Cross Church

Crossroads
Only three roads now meet at the Holywell crossroads
(Longwall Street, Holywell Street, and St Cross Road (formerly Church Road),
as the fourth, Benseval Street, was taken into Magdalen College grove in the late fifteenth century

Google map of Holywell Street

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home