HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

10–11 Holywell Street


10-11 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1369394. This pair of houses dates from the end of the seventeenth or beginning of the eighteenth century. Owned by Merton College.

No. 10

This house was occupied by a Dr Keill and the next occupier was William Thorp, a mercer and his wife Joan Pitt. The following extract from a letter dated 13 January 1749/50 written by Dr Humphrey Owen, Principal Librarian of the Bodleian, to Dr Richard Rawlinson describes the house:

I have made enquiry about a house proper for a gentleman of your description but can hear of no one that is in a good situation where you can be properly accommodated, except at one Mr. Thorp’s a stocking weaver in Holywell and a very honest man: the same Dr Keill formerly lived in, which has a very pretty garden and outlet into the Parkes, who would be very glad to receive a gentleman of your character.

His great-grandson William Thorp (1785–1869), who was Mayor of Oxford for the first time in 1833/4, came to live here in 1834, when he was a widower of 49, with his orphaned nieces and nephew (Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary, Susan, and Francis William Joy). He was Mayor again in  1844/5 and 1848/9. By 1851 he lived here with his widowed sister Mrs Susannah Folker and his niece Mary Joy, plus two servants, and then moved across the road to a smaller house in Holywell.

No. 11

This became a lodging house in 1884, run by William Butler Huggins and his wife Louisa.

Tim Williams, the son of Dr Robert Williams (now Professor Bob Williams FRS) remembers living here as a child around 1960:

The house was a funny house with a winding stair case that ran from the top to the bottom of the house. I fell down it several times. The top floor of the house only had two rooms. The ground floor had a dining room facing the street and a “dump” room with a sliding door. A corridor ran the whole length of the left hand wall of the house from the front door to scullery at the back through the kitchen. Between the dump room and the kitchen there was a light well which allowed natural light to penetrate to the dump room. On the first floor my father had a study at the back of the house. The living room was the room facing the street on the first floor.

 

10–11 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

No. 10
William Thorp (65), now described as a Magistrate and Alderman and a retired hosier and mercer, lived here with his widowed sister Mrs Susannah Folker (57) and his niece Mary Joy (26). They had two servants. .

No. 11

1851

No. 10
William Thorp (65), described as independent, lived here with his orphaned nieces Sarah, Mary, and Susannah Joy, who are all mistakenly put down as aged 15, and one female servant.

No. 11
John A. Dale, M.A. (34), a natural philosopher and proprietor of railway shares, lived here with one servant.

1861

No. 10
Maria Chambers (33), a London-born officer’s wife, lived here with her children Josephine (11), Kate (10), Hugh (6), George (5), and Rose (2). The first four children were born in the East Indies, and the last in Leamington. The family had two servants, a cook and a nursemaid.

No. 11
William Solloway (34), a Gloucestershire-born cattle dealer, lived here with his Oxford-born wife Kate (33) and their children Henry (8), Elizabeth (5), Frank (4), and Major (1). They had an undergraduate lodger.

1881

No. 10
Katharine H. Hopkins
(50), a widowed fundholder, lived here with her daughters Gertrude (24) and Magdalen (22). They had two servants: a cook and a housemaid.

No. 11
The head of the household was away, and the house was occupied by his/her unmarried niece Martha M. Gambel  (22) and a 15-year-old servant girl.

1901

No. 10
William Chamberlain (51), a gardener, lived here with his wife Eliza (54), who was a lodging house keeper.

No. 11
William Cambray (43), a house decorator, lived here with his wife Charlotte (32), who was a lodging house keeper, and his children Emily (15), who was a dressmaker’s apprentice; William (13); and Lottie (11).

The enumerator lists a New College household between Nos. 10 & 11 Holywell Street: Professor John Townsend (32) lived here with an undergraduate. As they had no servants, presumably it was above the two houses and part of the lodgings.

1911

No. 10
William Cambray (55), a university lodging house keeper, lived here with his wife Charlotte (47) and his children Louise (24) and William (23).

No. 11
Arthur Ernest Higginson (35), a compositor, lived here with his wife Sarah (36).

Occupants of 10–11 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

  No. 11 (left) No. 10 (right)

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 10 yds 1 ft 6 in
Mrs Guy

1846–1852

John Musgrove
Butler of Magdalen Hall

(Alderman) William Thorp, Esq
Private resident (by 1840)

1861

William Solloway
Cattle dealer

Major/Lt-Col. Joseph Chambers

1866–1872

George Barnes
Lodging house

1875–1876

Mrs Christopher

1881

Not listed

Mrs Katharine Hopkins
Widowed fundholder

1884–1894

William Butler Huggins
Lodging House Keeper & Post Office clerk
Declared bankrupt in February 1894

1894–1896

Frederick Augustus Dixey
Fellow & Junior Bursar, Wadham College

1899–1905

William Chamberlain
University lodgings

William Cambray
University lodgings

1914

Mrs Higginson
University lodgings

1916

George Leonard Prestige

Edward Cecil Foster, M.R.C.S.
Surgeon

1921

E. Llewellyn Woodward, MA
Fellow of All Souls College
and Tutor to New College

Keith Feiling

1926

John Reginald H. Weaver, M.A.

1935–1936

James Edward Meade, M.A.
Bursar of Hertford College

Raymond Greene
Physician & surgeon

c.1940–1942

Mrs Constance Helen Ellison
(wife of Lieut-Col. Edward James
Oborne Ellison serving in Royal Marines)

Harold Harley
Physician & surgeon

1945

William Calvert Kneale, M.A.
Fellow of Exeter College

1947–1952

Gerard Alaric Ballancer,
B.A., M.B., B.Ch.
Physician & surgeon

1954

Robert Joseph Paton Williams,
M.A., D.Phil.
Fellow of Wadham College

1956–1962

Harold Charles Harley, M.A., B.M., B.Ch.
Physician and Surgeon
(with Bent Juel-Jenson in 1958)

1964

No listing

1966

Roger W. Morgan

1967

No listing

1970–1976

C. Plumer

John A. Godwin

At 11 and 10
Holywell today

Merton College annexe

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home